Guv's 800*800*800mm Saltwater Money Sink...[TOTM Jan07]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Sorry to hear about your troubles Gav - I know exactly how you feel, my tank is doing exactly the same as yours by the sounds of it. I keep telling myself to be patient and wait for it to cycle out but things still keep dying and stuffing up the process :wall:
Judging by some others experiences it seems a major crash is really difficult to recover from fully and even skimming and chem filters don't seem to be effective in restoring the water quality. I'm currently looking at rigging up a turf scrubber to see if that will restore the balance.
emlodge
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 am
Posts Per Page: The Entrance North

Aquamedic NG60

Post by emlodge »

Hi Guv,
I was just wondering what your experience has been with the Aquamedic NG60? I'm thinking of buying one myself. Have you attached yours to the ceiling? I'm renting so i can't drill holes in the roof. Do you know if you can sit it on like small arms so that it sits on the tank?

Thanks. :wavey:
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Re: Aquamedic NG60

Post by Guv »

emlodge wrote:I was just wondering what your experience has been with the Aquamedic NG60? I'm thinking of buying one myself. Have you attached yours to the ceiling? I'm renting so i can't drill holes in the roof. Do you know if you can sit it on like small arms so that it sits on the tank?


G'day emlodge,

If you are looking for a pendant, they really are a top quality unit. I've had absolutely no problems with it. That said, I've also done some <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=170544">DIY work on it - to give it an additional couple of tubes and also a built-in timer</a>.

If you are going to hide it in a hood however, then you'd be much better off buying separate quality T5 and halide components IMO (much cheaper!!).

Mine is attached to the ceiling - their shell is actually quite thick aluminium, so they are heavier than you might expect. Unsure if Aquamedic do 'small arms' for them. You might have to rig something up yourself...

HTH

:cheers:
Last edited by Guv on Sat May 02, 2009 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Post by Guv »

G1v1n wrote:Sorry to hear about your troubles Gav - I know exactly how you feel, my tank is doing exactly the same as yours by the sounds of it. I keep telling myself to be patient and wait for it to cycle out but things still keep dying and stuffing up the process :wall:
Judging by some others experiences it seems a major crash is really difficult to recover from fully and even skimming and chem filters don't seem to be effective in restoring the water quality. I'm currently looking at rigging up a turf scrubber to see if that will restore the balance.


Hey Gav, how'd you go with this idea? Tank doing any better? I've just been leaving the algae to grow all over the glass... kind of figure it is almost the same thing (as long as I eventually remove it! :roflmao:)
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Me too(also partly because I'm a little jacked off with it) ;)
I've added a light to the sump with a spill plate for microalgae to grow on and a clump of macro underneath. The micro hasn't appeared yet but the macro is pearling so I'm hoping some good will come of it.
Today I had to bite the bullet and remove all corals showing any signs of recession including the ones I hoped would recover because I don't think things will improve until I got rid of anything that may be releasing nutrients. In the past I have noticed corals look crook when they have stung a snail and it lay rotting next to it so corals seem sensitive to flesh putrifying and whatever that gives off to the water.
So now I have a tank very nearly devoid of stony corals and a large collection of skeletons in the backyard :wall:
emlodge
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 am
Posts Per Page: The Entrance North

Re: Aquamedic NG60

Post by emlodge »

If you are going to hide it in a hood however, then you'd be much better off buying separate quality T5 and halide components IMO (much cheaper!!)


Hi Guv,
Don't suppose you can point me in the direction of some good quality separate T5 and halide components?? The price of the Aquamedic is a bit scary!

Thanks.
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Re: Aquamedic NG60

Post by Guv »

emlodge wrote:Don't suppose you can point me in the direction of some good quality separate T5 and halide components?? The price of the Aquamedic is a bit scary!

It is isn't it!!

Best bet is to 1) Join your local MASx club (nice discounts) and then 2) check out <a href="http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/index.php?c=4">The Individual Business Forums</a> for a deal.

If you are feeling adventurous, your local electrical supplies place will probably be able to get you decent quality control gear (Tridonic Atco, Vossloh-Schwabe, etc) cheaply - but you'll need to know exactly what you're looking for... The guys above will be able to sort some appropriate globes for you.

Either way you're going to need an electrician to sign off on your DIY - so keep that cost in mind too.

HTH :cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
jason angel
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3319
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 am
Posts Per Page: vic

Post by jason angel »

updates?? new FTS shot?
- JA
jeff127
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:48 pm
Posts Per Page: London, UK

Post by jeff127 »

jason angel wrote:updates?? new FTS shot?


:withyou:

BTW which bulb do use Guv?


Jeff.
Jase
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 839
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 12:00 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Post by Jase »

Give us an update Guv!!
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”