Col's 7x2.5

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Thanks Mark.

It seemed like a good day to drink beer so I decided to be proactive at the same time :thumbsup:
Finally got the enthusiasm to finish off the tank stand. I wanted to keep it simple and sleek so that the stand didn't take attention away from the tank.
Material I selected was aluminum composite panel. Panels are held in place by an internal angle/slot arrangement a couple of inches up from the bottom, with magnetic strip at the top to keep it pulled in.
Went for one panel along the front and one on each end. Trimmed the edges with an ally extrusion to keep it neat. Worked out pretty well.

Image

Col
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by Vilante »

Looks fantastic!!
Ben_Q
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:04 pm
Posts Per Page: Sunshine Coast, Queensland

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by Ben_Q »

Nice work Col.
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Not all is going well currently :(, but i guess that's reefing....

Dropped AlK slowly in an effort to reduce precipitation in wave makers. Seems as though this has done the trick. Not sure if it was related but ALK and Calc demand dropped to near zero shortly after while mag continued to be taken up at previous rate.

Lost a one large SPS colony that RTN'd over night a month or so ago, added some carbon in the sump to take out any nasties from the decaying coral tissue. Nothing else seemed unhappy at the time. I was seeing excellent growth rates and getting some nice colouration of other SPS.

I carried out some maintenance on the light fixture and when re hanging it i inadvertently reinstalled it 80mm lower. Unfortunately this was just before i went away for four days. When i returned there were about 6 colonies with burnt tips and several colonies that had shed tissue around the bases. There was no clear pattern to which corals were effected, some were in high positions, others were close to the sand bed. Checked all parameters and nothing was obviously out of whack compared to where it had been running. Took me a few days to realise the difference in light height before i lifted it back up. The affected SPS have browned out, with some showing complete die off of some branches. A pagoda had shed tissue on the upper most edge, this has now shed all tissue over the last day or two.
Interestingly there are still a lot of pieces that are not showing any symptoms of struggle. I am not convinced the change in light was the only factor but believe it probably was the catalyst.

Anyway, i will keep up with water changes and closely monitor parameters in the hope that colonies recover, or at worst, further colonies are not affected.

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

The rtn seems to have abated after several water changes and stopping dosing. At this point in time I think the most likely cause was the alk and calc supps I was using. It was a new batch of bulk calcium chloride and sodium carbonate from a supplier I hadn't used before (just so happens that I switched to this a few weeks before problems appeared). Will go back to hyclor pool supps for now.
Onsan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4009
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
Posts Per Page: Townsville

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by Onsan »

colg wrote:Not all is going well currently :(, but i guess that's reefing....

Dropped AlK slowly in an effort to reduce precipitation in wave makers. Seems as though this has done the trick. Not sure if it was related but ALK and Calc demand dropped to near zero shortly after while mag continued to be taken up at previous rate.
Col


Glad to see it solved the issue.
Yes, it is explicitly related, too high an alkalinity causes calcium carbonate precipitation/scaling, so you are losing both calcium and alkalinity (as carbonate alkalinity) when this occurs, this was what was forming on your pumps. You were feeding your own problem.
MASA President
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Small update - no pics.
After being convinced by someone using the same supps that they weren't the cause I resumed dosing the bulk supps. Colour hadn't fully come back but I was getting new tip growth and things stopped dying.
After a few weeks tables turned and lost a lot more pieces and browning tips on others.
Now convinced it is the supp's, if only a bad batch. Kinda sucks when I have 25kg of each. Have to wait for ocean to clean up for some more water. Then go back to bunnings supps.
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Reverted back to pool supp's and finally have some colored tips returning on my Dallas after a regime of large water changes. Softies, Clam and lps are still happy.
Ended up losing nearly all of the acro I had, Millie's and a few other bits and bobs. To top it off, also lost three anthias in two days as they decided that the floor was a good place to school.

Enough of the bad... things are looking up and hopefully the renewed health of the coral livestock continues.

Equipment wise, there have been a few changes to reduce maintenance tasks as well as improve stability. First up was an RO reservoir auto top. Second was introduction of a continuos water change regime. Thanks to Sam Parker on both accounts :bow:

ATO refill utilizes a few float valves, solenoid and a couple of relays. This allows the 50L RO reservoir to automatically refill when it's empty - saving on membrane life and a 'lot' of water when I forget to switch the RO off.
Image

Litermeter sends water from my IBC to the sump and withdraws same amount to drain. Currently only set to 50L a week (7.1L/d) while I make sure it's calibrated and unroll I can refill the IBC. I'm going to increase the auto changes to around 10% weekly soon.
Image

Image
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by Autonomy »

I was definitely a fan of your 4x2x2 when it was up and running, so I'll definitely be following along on this one. :cheers:
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Well it's been a while since updates. Finally got things back on track (fingers crossed)
Lost a few more SPS but seems to have stabilized. Ended up sypohoning out the sand bed, 90% complete.

Dosing pumps failed. while I thought I could diy something out of the parts, it didn't work and I bit the bullet and went LM3 for the lot. This means I now have two LM3's and 4 add on expansion pumps running now!
Good news is that I have stable parameters and it is looking good (sort of..)

Decided to revert to a full t5 lighting system and have set that up the other day. Time will tell if it makes a difference.
Will re stock some sticks over the coming months and see what happens.
Image

Image
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”