Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
damer
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 5872
- Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:13 am
- Posts Per Page: Geelong, Victoria.
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
It can be sprayed on and is actually designed for that on cars and marine applications, but I'd talk to a car paint store first, as I'm no expert.
As far as better than powder coating, I can't say as I've never had one done. I did a lot of research ans searching, both here and on reefcental. Not many people use it here in aus (for fish tanks). My stand still isn't cladded, and so far has withstood the wrath if four boys pretty well. In theory you can hit it with a hammer.
$100 for powder coating, seems a bit cheap, in fact very cheap. Is that from an actual quote? Por15 paint itself with cost more, not including the cleaner and primer, and time.
As far as better than powder coating, I can't say as I've never had one done. I did a lot of research ans searching, both here and on reefcental. Not many people use it here in aus (for fish tanks). My stand still isn't cladded, and so far has withstood the wrath if four boys pretty well. In theory you can hit it with a hammer.
$100 for powder coating, seems a bit cheap, in fact very cheap. Is that from an actual quote? Por15 paint itself with cost more, not including the cleaner and primer, and time.
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
The $100 for the powder coating is trade price thanks to the guy who built my stand as he has an account with the powder coaters. 
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
Another piece of the big jigsaw puzzle is added to the list thanks to Ken from K&J Aquatics.
Thanks heaps Ken

Thanks heaps Ken

Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
-
TWS
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 92
- Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:32 am
- Posts Per Page: TAS
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
uglyman wrote:Another piece of the big jigsaw puzzle is added to the list thanks to Ken from K&J Aquatics.
Thanks heaps Ken![]()
how are those pumps? i think they look like a good unit
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
TWS wrote:how are those pumps? i think they look like a good unit
This is the older model and it works well but is just a bit noisy, I will be installing it under my floor where the RO storage container will be so the noise will not be an issue. I have heard the new model of this pump has a better motor assembly and the noise is substantially quieter.
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
-
daves88
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:20 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
Wow just came across this... Looking good mate
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
daves88 wrote:Wow just came across this... Looking good mate
I should have mentioned this thread to you the other day but too much stuff on my mind and crappy shift work tends to fry my brain lol
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
I think I will have to post up some pics of some new toys that I have acquired of late
maybe tonight if I manage to get home and not fall asleep as soon as I reach the couch. 
maybe tonight if I manage to get home and not fall asleep as soon as I reach the couch. 
Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
-
chromus
- I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
- Posts: 19409
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
- Contact:
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
Needs More Pics!
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
-
uglyman
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2141
- Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 pm
- Posts Per Page: Pyalong Vic
Re: Uglyman's Experiment Has Begun.
Ok since you asked Phil.
First photo is for you as I have heard you like a long hose

Got hold of some silicone hose thanks to titusho instead of the usual vinyl stuff, Ehsan Dashti recommends silicone hose when running the Triton method due to vinyl hose leaching toxins into the water over time.
Also tracked down a Georg Fisher 1 1/4" ball valve for the overflow but just have to have a talk to PAAS pty ltd here in Melbourne for the rest of the piping and connectors.

First photo is for you as I have heard you like a long hose

Got hold of some silicone hose thanks to titusho instead of the usual vinyl stuff, Ehsan Dashti recommends silicone hose when running the Triton method due to vinyl hose leaching toxins into the water over time.
Also tracked down a Georg Fisher 1 1/4" ball valve for the overflow but just have to have a talk to PAAS pty ltd here in Melbourne for the rest of the piping and connectors.

Uglyman's 4ft LED lit mixed reef
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page
If your not prepared to be wrong, then you'll never come up with anything original.
Join the Marine Aquarium Society of Victoria today!!
Join MASOV's Facebook Page