
Seahorse breeding
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding
-
Oldnewbie
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah
Re: Seahorse breeding
Darren at Reefsecrets is trying to get tank bred Augustus so i will hang out for them at this stange i think, Daz wont let me down will ya daz 

-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
I will have some tank bread barbouris in about 6 weeks time 
Going to pick up a pair of breviceps tonight!! whoot whoot!!
Going to pick up a pair of breviceps tonight!! whoot whoot!!
-
Oldnewbie
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah
Re: Seahorse breeding
If you think some of those young barbouris might like a trip to the east let me know the damage and i will arrange a flight for them 

-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
Just something to keep you going.....

My new brevicep babies..... they eat a whole lot of food.... (They can eat like a horse when they want to.....
)

My new brevicep babies..... they eat a whole lot of food.... (They can eat like a horse when they want to.....
-
Oldnewbie
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah
Re: Seahorse breeding
Very nice how many of the little buggas are there? and do you feed them just brine shrimp at this stage?
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
These guys are a mixture of approx 20 barbouri x subelongatus and 80 breviceps.
On first removal, I dump the contents of my filter sock (just for collecting pods) and approx 30mls of NHBBS.
These guys eat and poop heaps to point of I am doing 60-70% water changes every 12 hours and still I am getting Ammonia hitting the 2.0 (API test kit) before the change. After a decent WC, I am adding Ammo Lock to help negate the effect, but I am at the point now where I think I am going to need more water volume to keep up. (That reminds me, must call up and get my storage tanks filled. 2000L coming up!!!
)
Time to do a DIY build for a bigger tank
(And the Minister for War and Finance said yes!!!
)
With the NHBBS, I make sure they are no older than 12-24 hours old, as by this stage, they have lost their yolk sacks and have no nutritional value to the fry. All NHBBS has been decapsulated(Bleach soak method) no more than a week prior to being hatched. Feedings are done first thing in the morning (5:30 am), before I leave for work (8am) as soon as I get home from work (4:30pm) and just before I go to bed (11:00pm).
WC are done just before feedings at 5:30am and 4:30 pm.
A small 12w LED light is left on 24 hours a day for the first week, then 12-18 hours white and the rest blue for the next 2 weeks, then 12 hours white and 6 hours blue, and slowly reducing it to a 12 hours combined for both.
Well, so far, 2 days in, and I have only lost 1, with the rest going strong..
Gettign past the 3 day mark is the first hurdle, and the 3 week mark is the second.
Oh, and one of my trusty subelongatus decided he was going to gift me another 140 babies this morning... thanks ... mate ...
I just don't have any spare room at the moment for any more!!!
On first removal, I dump the contents of my filter sock (just for collecting pods) and approx 30mls of NHBBS.
These guys eat and poop heaps to point of I am doing 60-70% water changes every 12 hours and still I am getting Ammonia hitting the 2.0 (API test kit) before the change. After a decent WC, I am adding Ammo Lock to help negate the effect, but I am at the point now where I think I am going to need more water volume to keep up. (That reminds me, must call up and get my storage tanks filled. 2000L coming up!!!
)Time to do a DIY build for a bigger tank
(And the Minister for War and Finance said yes!!!
) With the NHBBS, I make sure they are no older than 12-24 hours old, as by this stage, they have lost their yolk sacks and have no nutritional value to the fry. All NHBBS has been decapsulated(Bleach soak method) no more than a week prior to being hatched. Feedings are done first thing in the morning (5:30 am), before I leave for work (8am) as soon as I get home from work (4:30pm) and just before I go to bed (11:00pm).
WC are done just before feedings at 5:30am and 4:30 pm.
A small 12w LED light is left on 24 hours a day for the first week, then 12-18 hours white and the rest blue for the next 2 weeks, then 12 hours white and 6 hours blue, and slowly reducing it to a 12 hours combined for both.
Well, so far, 2 days in, and I have only lost 1, with the rest going strong..
Gettign past the 3 day mark is the first hurdle, and the 3 week mark is the second.Oh, and one of my trusty subelongatus decided he was going to gift me another 140 babies this morning... thanks ... mate ...
I just don't have any spare room at the moment for any more!!!-
Jaguar
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 461
- Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:10 am
- Posts Per Page: Leppington, NSW
- Contact:
Re: Seahorse breeding
BABIES! I miss ponies
Good thing I don't live near you. I would totally help raise some subs!. If your interested in shipping some lmk
. I was totally going to set up a seahorse nursery, and already have some of the materials to throw one together. It's been a while. Watch out for that thin fiber plastic rope I had babies getting stuck in that. I eventually switched to the really neon colored zip ties. They're looking great!

Just cause I know everyone following wants to see more babies!

Best of luck!
Good thing I don't live near you. I would totally help raise some subs!. If your interested in shipping some lmk
. I was totally going to set up a seahorse nursery, and already have some of the materials to throw one together. It's been a while. Watch out for that thin fiber plastic rope I had babies getting stuck in that. I eventually switched to the really neon colored zip ties. They're looking great!

Just cause I know everyone following wants to see more babies!

Best of luck!
-
DgrMouse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:24 am
- Posts Per Page: Western Australia
Re: Seahorse breeding
Agreed.. the rope only stays in there for the first couple of weeks, then gets removed and cable ties put in
-
Oldnewbie
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah
Re: Seahorse breeding
Can i take this discussion way back please Dgrmouse, how do you have your breeding tanks setup,do you have anything in them (coral, weed...the legal stuff lol or nothing) and what filtratiom unit do you use 

-
Oldnewbie
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 63
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:54 am
- Posts Per Page: Murwillumbah
Re: Seahorse breeding
Just thought of another question
what lights do you run over your breeding tanks over mine i just run T8s and they are in a room with lots of lights so alot of the time i leave the lights off and they dont seem to mind
what lights do you run over your breeding tanks over mine i just run T8s and they are in a room with lots of lights so alot of the time i leave the lights off and they dont seem to mind