Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

fairymary58 wrote:wow, what an awesome tank.
Where in melbourne are you? I would love to come check it out in person and pick your brain.
Im currently about to build and put a tank in, not an entire room like you but would love a 9 to 10footer on the wall but dant know how to go from a 4fter to a big one. My plumbing was always done with hose, never pipes so dont even know where to start.


Sorry I thought I replied to this! Yea sure anytime :) I'm in Mickleham.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

It's been a while! Can't believe 12 months has gone by since my last photo update.

The good news is (knock on wood) I've gotten past the what felt like weekly equipment failure. The bad news, well it hasn't been a fun 12 months fish tank wise. I had massive issues with imbalances in the tank which drove me to almost shutting the whole thing down. There was a good 2-3 months worth of weekly if not bi-weekly hand siphoning cyano from the tank to stop it from consuming everything that was living in it.

I have to admit that without the support and constant encouragement to keep going from fellow reefers on this forum I wouldn't have stuck it out and managed to get the tank to turn around to something more enjoyable than what was a daily chore.

Even though I am reluctant to, I want to share how bad the tank actually got and what it looks like now. I hope that gives new and current reefers the belief that no matter how [censored] it gets, if you really enjoy the hobby it's worth riding it out till it improves. Keep at it. :pirate:

So without further ado, here's some photos of what the tank went through the last 12 months:

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image

Thankfully, the tank is on the mends and now looks a little more presentable. Photos and video below. I'm still battling some hair algae but slowly getting on top of it :clap:
Video: https://youtu.be/iTN6ZmQaIz8

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by Vilante »

Tank looks amazing, well done for not giving up. Bet you're glad looking at it now.

How did you end up getting on top of it? I've just noticed I'm getting a couple of patches of it myself.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

Vilante wrote:Tank looks amazing, well done for not giving up. Bet you're glad looking at it now.

How did you end up getting on top of it? I've just noticed I'm getting a couple of patches of it myself.


Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.

I tried many things but did my best to stay away from chemical based solutions. The things I changed last before it disappeared were:

- Changed from home made to ready made frozen food
- Added a piece of live rock to the sump (tank started with base)
- 2000L worth of NSW changes over 1-2 months
- Turkey blasted the cyano off the rock
- Siphoned detritus from sump and sand bed before every change

Things I tried that didn't seem to help:

- Reduced feeding to twice a day
- Increased automatic ASW changes
- Tried DR tim's Cyano treatement <-- only 'chemical' treatment I used and found it to be a waste of money
- Large ASW changes
- Change LED spectrum (turned down the reds)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by Vilante »

reefaddiction wrote:Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.


Thank you :) I had it for a while quite some time ago and only got rid of it with big water changes, so might have to go down that road again. I've done nearly everything else you listed to get Nitrates down :)
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

Vilante wrote:
reefaddiction wrote:Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.


Thank you :) I had it for a while quite some time ago and only got rid of it with big water changes, so might have to go down that road again. I've done nearly everything else you listed to get Nitrates down :)


For what it's worth, my nitrates were reading zero and phosphates 0.04. Tested on multiple kits and through triton US. I found it sorted it self out as I got the balance of nitrate and phosphate in check. The challenge was raising nitrate without feeding the cyano :wall:
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by Vilante »

reefaddiction wrote:
Vilante wrote:
reefaddiction wrote:Thank you :) It's still got a long way to go but I'm happy with the progress.


Thank you :) I had it for a while quite some time ago and only got rid of it with big water changes, so might have to go down that road again. I've done nearly everything else you listed to get Nitrates down :)


For what it's worth, my nitrates were reading zero and phosphates 0.04. Tested on multiple kits and through triton US. I found it sorted it self out as I got the balance of nitrate and phosphate in check. The challenge was raising nitrate without feeding the cyano :wall:


Yeah right!! It actually seems to have appeared since I've got my nitrates back down near zero. They don't really need to be that low (no sps) so maybe I should ease up. While nitrates were near 10 there was never a sign of any algae. Phosphates have always been under 0.03.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

Yep it's definitely about the balance then. Bring them back up and it should sort it out :)
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by Vilante »

reefaddiction wrote:Yep it's definitely about the balance then. Bring them back up and it should sort it out :)


Legend, thanks so much :thumbsup:
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

We will name this post... the fun continues!

So as some of you might already know, we went away for 5 weeks. Thankfully I have met such awesome reefers that I now consider good mates through this forum and MASOV. One who was kind enough to visit my house twice a week and look after the tank while I was away. This made our holiday that much more enjoyable and relaxing. You know who you are :cheers:

First 4 weeks went smoothly, tank was doing well few minor adjustments to the calcium reactor for increase uptake and we were good to go. Or were we?

Then came Friday the 13th.. now I'm not a believer in bad luck but it sure as hell seemed that way. My Neptune Apex controller decided to freeze and call it quits after 2 years in service. For those who have an apex I want to share exactly what happened so that if it happens to you, you can react a lot faster than I did.

Here's what happened:

Friday 13th - I get a heartbeat notification from Neptune Fusion, which is a cloud based software. This basically told me that the apex was not connected to the cloud (internet) based server. It's happened before and usually means our internet is down or there's a disconnect somewhere between the router and the apex. I didn't think much of it, checked the camera in the fish room and saw what seemed like everything was running and the screen on the apex was still showing the parameters (or so I thought).

Saturday - Still no connection. So I asked the house sitter to check on the controller. From what she can see the tank is still running and the controller screen is lit up and showing the parameters. I thought we'd try and reset the controller to see if it connects again but the controller touch pad is unresponsive/frozen. We tried to hard reset it a few times but it was stuck in loop trying to connect to the other modules. We also tried to re-flash the firmware but again no luck. I had to call for back-up. Thankfully the return pump, DT lights and Gyre were still running.

Sunday - Back-up arrives. Spent 2 hours on the phone trying to guide my neighbour how to re-wire the heaters, ato, awc, vortechs and the list goes on...

In summary, when the controller failed everything went back to 'fallback mode'. So for example the return pump was set to 'Fallback On'. It stayed on. The heaters were set to 'Fallback Off' for obvious reasons. They went off.

This is what was still working (basically anything that the controller should never switch off unless I tell it too):
- Return
- Frag tank pump
- Tank lights
- Calcium reactor re circulation and feed pumps

This is what wasn't working:
- Ecotech vortechs (controlled by the apex WXM)
- Ecotech Radion (controlled by the apex WXM)
- Skimmer
- Heaters
- Cooling Fans
- ATO
- AWC
- Calcium reactor solenoid for CO2
- Automatic feeder
- Neck cleaner
- Sump light

So what did I learn. Well firstly, if it's going to be installed in my fish room it's going to break down at some point. :wall: Secondly, when you set up a controller, plan that one day it will fail and set out the correct measures to ensure the tank survives. Here's what I'm considering to change:

- Somehow set up the heaters to work even without the apex running. Maybe set the internal thermostats higher and fallback 'on'? Or it's been suggested to run an STC-1000 in series with a lower threshold for temperature? :-s
- Set up access to my home network from my phone so that I don't need to depend on the could access (fusion) and I can check if the apex is still actually working
- Reduce 'depending' on the apex to run certain equipment

That's all I can think of... any more suggestions?

I should add, no fish or coral were harmed this Friday the 13th. Thankfully.
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”