Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room - W

Post by reefaddiction »

miralami wrote:You did everything perfect so far, don't compromise.
QT and treat your fish and never look back.

Happy Reefing Joe :)


Thanks Omid. Will see how I go :)
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room - W

Post by swazzle »

That's a decent sized qt! What are your plans for it now? Reset it up in a different location or downsize or something completely different?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room - W

Post by reefaddiction »

swazzle wrote:That's a decent sized qt! What are your plans for it now? Reset it up in a different location or downsize or something completely different?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I've moved it to a different location (garage storage room) but it's too cold in there to maintain at the right temp without using the heater 24/7.

For now I have decided to go down a different path and not QT... Hope I've made the right decision and I know of the risks.

For the area the QT was in, I have other plans. Not confirmed yet but potentially another two tanks plumbed into the main display. :devil:
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room - W

Post by reefaddiction »

Well hasn't it been an interesting few months... Unfortunately, not much of it has been positive tank wise.

The bad.

I've had my return pump fail twice on me. First time, it was for few hours but I did loose a few fish. Second time, the fish room circuit tripped and power was cut to the fish tank for 10hrs! Unbelievably, everything survived. It didn't look like anything was going to make it buck miraculously no losses. Many thanks to the reefing gods :bow:

That was the worst of it but to name a few other hickups; Fish room was suffering from mould build up with all the moisture, gyre failed, dc adapter for automatic ro reservoir refill failed, skimmer overflowed for no reason and dumped a half full cup worth of skim mate back into the tank and the list goes on and on...

So with all that happening I decided to set-up the room in a way that is more reliable with plenty of fail safes and monitoring. This will include utilising the controller to it's full potential by using float switches and warnings via email as well as adding a power back up source in case of a full outage.

The good/progress since my last update.

Tank itself is doing well with a little bit of an algae issue due to the imbalance of PO4 and NO3.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Installed an in-line fan into the ceiling with a humidity controller. This has really improved the issue with condensation. Currently set to kick in at 60% relative humidity.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Installed a float switch on the skimmer cup with provision for more circuits when I finally add a neck cleaner. The connector is water proof and super handy when I need to clean the skimmer cup and lid.

Image

And last but not least... my most exciting addition. Frag tank plumbed into the system :)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Last edited by reefaddiction on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vilante
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:15 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by Vilante »

Woohoo!! :o
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by sparker »

Great update, thanks for sharing. So much info in the one post I will have to respond in point form.

1. First of all, let me say how much I love that scape. Will look amazing once grown in a bit. Also, where did you get that candy cane from, it is gorgeous.

2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.

3. Mate that sucks about the DC power supply on the RO auto top off reservoir filler. Hopefully you weren't without RO for too long?

4. Super keen to hear how the inline fan goes. It is something I am keen to setup and I think I will as soon as my back is up to getting up in the ceiling again. Will have to hit you up for the details when that time comes so I know I'm buying a quality unit.

5. Good move with the float in the skimmer lid. Even better move with the deutsch connector with extra wires for a auto neck cleaner. Smooth work :)

6. Love the frag tank, like we were saying the other day - you will love being able to "dump" new purchases in there and leave the worry about finding a place to mount in the display another day. Best thing ever.
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

sparker wrote:Great update, thanks for sharing. So much info in the one post I will have to respond in point form.

1. First of all, let me say how much I love that scape. Will look amazing once grown in a bit. Also, where did you get that candy cane from, it is gorgeous.

2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.

3. Mate that sucks about the DC power supply on the RO auto top off reservoir filler. Hopefully you weren't without RO for too long?

4. Super keen to hear how the inline fan goes. It is something I am keen to setup and I think I will as soon as my back is up to getting up in the ceiling again. Will have to hit you up for the details when that time comes so I know I'm buying a quality unit.

5. Good move with the float in the skimmer lid. Even better move with the deutsch connector with extra wires for a auto neck cleaner. Smooth work :)

6. Love the frag tank, like we were saying the other day - you will love being able to "dump" new purchases in there and leave the worry about finding a place to mount in the display another day. Best thing ever.


G'day!

1. Thanks man. I really hated doing it to be honest and ripped it down twice before I got the results I wanted. Have to really give a shout out to a few of the boys on here that really helped guide me to get it here.

2. Yea the second time the pump failed it tripped the circuit to the whole room. Awesome that's a great option. ATM I'm thinking of buying a UPS for the router that connects to the apex and one for the apex. That way I will get the same service as that phone. I will work out which of the two will be better suited. Appreciate the advice though.

3. Joys of cheap ebay power supplies. Nope, luckily I caught it in time. I will set up a float switch in there connected to the apex to warn me if the level is lower then when the relay switches on the ro/di.

4. So far so good. Was a little noisy at first vibrating against the studs in the roof but I've since put some high density foam under it and it's silent now on the low setting which is more than enough volume for that room :) Happy to help just let me know

5. Cheers :) Beauty of working for an wiring company haha

6. Can't wait! Actually had a thought today. I plumbed the return pump in the same section as the overflow from the frag tank. Probably should move the return pump further down to the return section of that frag tank. I'm also chasing a light for the tank... Not sure whether to go for an el cheapo eBay light or a proper fixture like a Radion.
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by sparker »

AI Prime would be sweet I reckon
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by reefaddiction »

sparker wrote:AI Prime would be sweet I reckon


Yea if I wanted to go down the branded path was thinking ecotech radions... haven't really looked into the AI Primes
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Re: Joe's 8ft x 2.5ft x 2.2ft "In wall" tank & Fish room

Post by Macca_75 »

sparker wrote:2. I remember chatting with you about the return pump failing but didn't know you had a power outage as well. That sucks man, sorry to hear. You've heard about the phone power outage alarm setups yeah? They are super cheap and easy. Basically just an old (or cheap new) android phone. A $4 app and a aldi pre paid sim car (as they are cheap and have 365 credit) and you are done. Plug into the power at the tank and it will send you a text message and sound an alarm anytime the power goes out. Excellent peace of mind when you are at work and the power goes off or storms are rolling in. I'd still go with a battery backup, but it is handy to know when your tank power has gone off and back on again regardless.


Sam - I'll try and find an old Android phone floating around here at work and chat to you more about this in September.

Sorry ReefAddiction to steal the thread - I guess many of us share the same pains...
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”