Dosing trace elements

A place to discuss water chemistry and in depth and cutting edge discussions of advanced methodologies and concepts of reef keeping.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion

slavetonet
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by slavetonet »

Tone wrote:http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php


:poke: What am I looking for - written in 2007?
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution
Posts: 12378
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:22 am
Posts Per Page: BrizVegas
Contact:

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by Tone »

slavetonet wrote:
Tone wrote:http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php


:poke: What am I looking for - written in 2007?


If you don't know what you're looking for, I can't help you ... chemistry in 1900 is the same chemistry in 2007 as in 2016.

Hopefully, if you read the article you might learn something :nut:
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.


Originator of MASQ
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by chrismelb »

This has always interested me, I've often wondered if, non 100%, water changes are able to restore elements to NSW levels. With dosing all these are you looking at coral health to guage if levels are within acceptable limits?
slavetonet
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by slavetonet »

Tone wrote:
slavetonet wrote:
Tone wrote:http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php


:poke: What am I looking for - written in 2007?


If you don't know what you're looking for, I can't help you ... chemistry in 1900 is the same chemistry in 2007 as in 2016.

Hopefully, if you read the article you might learn something :nut:


Luckily I don't subscribe to all that is said on that article. :devil:
I will continue to learn from the reefing community all around the world. :book:

Each to their own - I am not trying to ask anyone else to use it on their own tank. It is purely on my own tank and that is what matters the most.
If it does nothing - why even bother to add them to the Artificial salt mix from the top 5 salt producer in the industry?
I think they know more and have real factual research to back it - as that article is of a few collective view, which doesn't speak for every company that sells the stuff. :poke:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Do you have any progress shots?

Rod. :thumbsup:
Tone
Been Around So Long, I've Seen Evolution
Posts: 12378
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:22 am
Posts Per Page: BrizVegas
Contact:

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by Tone »

:nod:

Right then, start by reaching out to Randy Holmes Farley, the author of the article, he's directly contactable and still active in the hobby.
"These are my Principles... if you don't like them, I have others." Groucho Marx.
Reefing since '93.
2000L Reef.


Originator of MASQ
wayne2.0
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Redland Bay

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by wayne2.0 »

slavetonet wrote:
Tone wrote:If it does nothing - why even bother to add them to the Artificial salt mix from the top 5 salt producer in the industry?
I think they know more and have real factual research to back it - as that article is of a few collective view, which doesn't speak for every company that sells the stuff. :poke:


The sceptic in me would answer that by saying it sounds like a sales tactic, hey look our competitors have added these thing to there salt mix and peopel are buying it, let's don the same. Bit like the adding of galic to food, no proof but people think it helps so they buy it.

Not saying anything one way or the other about the dosing. I only add cal, alk and mag myself on top of what ever is in the salt i use.
slavetonet
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by slavetonet »

Tone wrote::nod:

Right then, start by reaching out to Randy Holmes Farley, the author of the article, he's directly contactable and still active in the hobby.


I will contact Randy and see how it goes. I am not putting my hopes up on a reply as he might think I am up to no good with asking all sorts of questions. :cop:
slavetonet
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by slavetonet »

wayne2.0 wrote:
slavetonet wrote:
Tone wrote:If it does nothing - why even bother to add them to the Artificial salt mix from the top 5 salt producer in the industry?
I think they know more and have real factual research to back it - as that article is of a few collective view, which doesn't speak for every company that sells the stuff. :poke:


The sceptic in me would answer that by saying it sounds like a sales tactic, hey look our competitors have added these thing to there salt mix and peopel are buying it, let's don the same. Bit like the adding of galic to food, no proof but people think it helps so they buy it.

Not saying anything one way or the other about the dosing. I only add cal, alk and mag myself on top of what ever is in the salt i use.


The natural sea water contains all the macro and micro trace elements. All the company is only trying to mimic what mother nature provide. Not everyone have the luxury to get NSW and have to do with ASW for whatever reasons.
slavetonet
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Dosing trace elements

Post by slavetonet »

Small update - Alkalinity and Calcium uptake have gone up since dosing the DIY Trace element.
Before it was 120 ml of each per day and now it is 132 ml of each per day.
I have to say I am fairly happy with what is going on. A bit over a month and I am getting 10% alk and cal consumption. :cheers:
Post Reply

Return to “Chemistry & Advanced Concepts Discussion”