The Rack

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

kodez wrote:lol I meant for the frag fest on sunday :P
That's odd with the weather we've had, my chillers been on 60% of the day lately.


Lol - yeh it should be quite the spectacle - there is going to be some great stuff up for grabs.

The water only reached 28° on that 44° plus day we just had - my two titanium heaters battling to get higher than 24° on full time (or seems to be every time i look at them). No lights prob not helping either.
:thumbsup:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
oceanarium
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2533
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
Contact:

Re: The Rack

Post by oceanarium »

Looking good Lyall :)

I found with the out side systems heating was the biggest issue rather than cooling.

Is it semi or fully enclosed ? I can see your using insulation in the pics so once the lights go on and if it is enclosed the heat will build up. Summer I vent the heat out the roof our room and have little need to cool only the hottest hours of the day. Days like today we not running any cooling just open the doors.

We don't use any heating other than that generated by the lights for most the year save a few of those 0 nights I run the air cons on heat.
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

oceanarium wrote:Looking good Lyall :)

I found with the out side systems heating was the biggest issue rather than cooling.

Is it semi or fully enclosed ? I can see your using insulation in the pics so once the lights go on and if it is enclosed the heat will build up. Summer I vent the heat out the roof our room and have little need to cool only the hottest hours of the day. Days like today we not running any cooling just open the doors.

We don't use any heating other than that generated by the lights for most the year save a few of those 0 nights I run the air cons on heat.


Thanks Pete - plodding along.

Yeh, the plan will be to enclose the tank stand and frag stand as one room with insulation. Once I got the doors on the back of the enclosure to stop the fan effect, the temp stabilized at 27 c. Winter might be different though.

Cheers
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

Time for an update

Well the old Trigon got shutdown today :( And boy what a messy job - I can't believe how much gunk was in the old tank and I thought I was ok at keeping it clean too.

Image
Image
Image

Oh well, out with the old & in with the new (albeit outside with the new in this case). The new tanks have cycled and I was able to finally pick up the fish that came with it. It's not ideal inthat I haven't finished setting up the new system but that was the deal. Lol - I should have isolated the tomato clown (aka devils spawn) it bites me every time I put an arm in the tank - :roflmao: :clownfish:
Image

Still not sure how to finish off the front yet -
Image

Having issues with an old calcium reactor too - the pump didn't work so stupid me thought the fittings were just tight but it turns out they glue these things on :wall:
Image
Image

Lol - I got it off though :nut:

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

I walked past the nem tank and the little sand crab I got was out n about
Image

This tank looks great under the MH lights - the carpets are looking much happier
Image
Image
The clam is enjoying the new light too
Image
I'm also going to try keeping my shrooms in with the nems - so far they aren't hiding from the lights either
Image

One tank done - 3 to go :thumbsup:
Last edited by Choppa on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
kodez
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: The Rack

Post by kodez »

Wicked, looks mint dude. Did you get that sand crab from OE? Strange looking fellows.
sabo
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm
Posts Per Page: WA

Re: The Rack

Post by sabo »

This is gonna be a great setup.
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

kodez wrote:Wicked, looks mint dude. Did you get that sand crab from OE? Strange looking fellows.


Thanks kodez - yep they (oe) got a few different things to try. Hopefully it won't end up eating everything - lol it looks like a body builder with those arms :crossfingers:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

sabo wrote:This is gonna be a great setup.


Thanks mate your already part of it with the lift help and frags :thumbsup:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: The Rack

Post by Choppa »

Hi folks - well I think this build is finally coming together at last.

A nice MASWA chap dropped in on the weekend and helped me move the old tanks into place (thanks Reece). The old Trigon is now a bypassable 350 lt water change tank. I can drain it and heat up the water before returning it into the system. I stuffed up the heights though :-s and had to drill out another hole in the return sump to make gravity work :tongue: lol I was that annoyed with myself i just drilled it vertical while it was there squirting a spray bottle at it every now n then - the glass cut out is still in the sump - thanks to Heliman for the glass cutters again (awesome lend thanks :cheers: ) - lol, that's 6 holes now... I don't even bother using the template anymore.
Image
Image
And the old sump and frag rack.....has been promoted to a second level sump and frag rack :)
Image
It's on the night shift - helps with ph from memory, plus it gives light into the sump room.
Image
The old sump box is still coming in handy now as a giant tool box :roflmao:
Image
Image

Got some stick on insulation to help with temp control - it doubles as a black glass backing too :thumbsup:
Image

Chop
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”