What happened to RTAW?

Post here any ideas, feedback or queries you have in regard to MASA (including Reefing the Australian Way). This forum is not for reef aquaria related questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5269
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 am
Posts Per Page: Abbotsford, NSW

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by ryanrid »

locuus wrote:I rarely come on here anymore, and like many other Reefers I talk to, if I do it's just to check the Classifieds. When I first started Reefing this place was full of sound advice, and more to the point interesting posts on topics I would then research for days. Now if I want to be stimulated I head to Reef Central. That's a sad state of affairs to me. How's it possible for a forum to go so far south? When I first started the Advanced Discussion was full of posts only by the most knowledgeable and experienced, like Tone or DR DBW on topics I barely often had an inkling on. Now it's full of "why aren't my biopellets working?" or the upteenth post on vodka. I'm not going to go near some of the amazing tanks that seem to be overlooked because their not in the right clique, and thus what often then gets praised. This forum needs a kick in the ass!


I guess if there are less long timers on here the less advanced discussion. This hobby seems to have a high turn around, where 2 years is quite long.

Re the tanks which are overlooked perhaps list them so PCS can find them, there are a lot of TJ out there which they can not go thru them all. :thumbsup:
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by jayellul »

ryanrid wrote:
locuus wrote:I rarely come on here anymore, and like many other Reefers I talk to, if I do it's just to check the Classifieds. When I first started Reefing this place was full of sound advice, and more to the point interesting posts on topics I would then research for days. Now if I want to be stimulated I head to Reef Central. That's a sad state of affairs to me. How's it possible for a forum to go so far south? When I first started the Advanced Discussion was full of posts only by the most knowledgeable and experienced, like Tone or DR DBW on topics I barely often had an inkling on. Now it's full of "why aren't my biopellets working?" or the upteenth post on vodka. I'm not going to go near some of the amazing tanks that seem to be overlooked because their not in the right clique, and thus what often then gets praised. This forum needs a kick in the ass!


I guess if there are less long timers on here the less advanced discussion. This hobby seems to have a high turn around, where 2 years is quite long.

Re the tanks which are overlooked perhaps list them so PCS can find them, there are a lot of TJ out there which they can not go thru them all. :thumbsup:


Or take nominations from the community for awards....
oceanarium
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2533
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
Contact:

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by oceanarium »

My 2c

Perhaps the forum is not so friendly as it once was but back then, the marine side of the hobby was less main stream and members were far fewer. There were no plug and play tanks, quite often to have any decent gear you had to make it yourself. Reefers were probably more dedicated and far fewer. Now days it is more open to the masses for good or bad that is how it is. You can quite easily buy a plug and play tank and post here tomorrow. We were all newby's once, I have found great guidance here over the years.

As for RC being better ?? I see the same thing there look at the reef chemistry forum, all you see is simple carbon dosing questions etc being answered again and again. They might have big names like Randy H F but he does seem to be answering lots of newby questions. Its a shame we don't have any big names in the hobby here but we are few and they are many. I find a balance of looking there and participating here. They have huge resources, a recent talk at our local MASWA club Kevin Erickson gave was quite enlightening just how much of a multi million dollar business MASNA actually is.

The forums are the public face of MASA non financial members miss all camaraderie and experiences of the monthly meetings face to face with friends and fellow reefers. They also miss the state based forums of there local club at least with MASWA far more friendly because it is a group you know personally. Perhaps you are missing the full experience ?

Sure there is always room to improve, but the public forum content is largely reflective of those who participate.

Pete
galleri3090
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1887
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:23 am
Posts Per Page: Yagoona, Sydney

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by galleri3090 »

Cool thread!

I agree RTAW has gone flat.

I sometimes question whether it is because I am more experienced now and aren't as interested in the "which skimmer should I buy" or "which LED is best" threads? or if generally the content is less interesting than what it used to be?

I found RC way before I found RTAW and have always acknowledge there are many better forums for technical, scientific advise but why I always gravitated back to MASA was its sense of community and local first hand experiences being shared.

From a community point of view .. just about every MASx is at record membership numbers and has been increasing year on year since I have been involved at a committee level so I guess that's a positive sign.

Our advertising revenue is also at a all time high and behind the scenes a lot of volunteers have for the first time in many years got our incorporation obligations up to date. God knows we try. This has enabled MASA and each MASx to give back in the way of prizes, events and to provide you with a free forum.

I guess our forum/community is only as strong as its members .. if you want a more interesting forum share you experiences and contribute any way you can.

We should also account for the prevalence of facebook. As a voluntary organization, things don't happen overnight but the volunteers try hard and mean well. I suggest we openly talk about what can be done to improve our forum, it is after all owned by it's members and we invite all feedback to make it the place you want it to be ..

:cheers:

Michael
BlakeyBoyR
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:22 am
Posts Per Page: Greystanes (Sydney), NSW.

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by BlakeyBoyR »

I agree all awards should be decided by the community through a simple poll. This is no reflection on committees or anything, I just think it's the most fair and logical way of doing things.
I'd like for the forum to have more active members and a better 'profile' in Australian reefing, but I guess it's up to the forum members to make that happen. From the committees' perspectives, I can see how this thread may sound like "I'm going to complain about how the forum has gone down hill, but I refuse to pay a membership fee or contribute to the forum itself".
It'd be great if LFS, Wholesalers and Hobbyists alike all saw RTAW as THE place to discuss, help each other out and work for the benefit of the industry. I wish I knew what steps we could all take to make that happen.
I'm not addicted to Aquaria, I can quit any time I want ...
petergriffin
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 728
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 am
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by petergriffin »

I mainly use RTAW for MASWA. I have met some of my best friends through it and thd meetings are great and so are all the meetings we go to. Im sorry if you cant find the value in paying $30 for that.

Reef central advanced topics are a repeat of a lot of the same things over and over. But I do agree our advanced discussion is a little lack lustre of late but perhaps there is swing towards simplified reefing.

And contrary to people's belief the PC&S dont vote for who they like it Is for the best tank
And comparing our tank to those with pair of 20k peppermint angels and a full time person to maintain their tank isn't fair not do I believe it worthy as a person's contribution to the reefing community and effort put in also matters. Not how large wallet you have.

and if you are herd just to get TOTM I suggest you step back from the hobby for a while and asses why it is your doing this.
JOIN MASWA TODAY... I HAVE OPINIONS GET USED TO THEM, IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE!
BlakeyBoyR
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 993
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:22 am
Posts Per Page: Greystanes (Sydney), NSW.

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by BlakeyBoyR »

Joining MASS was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've met awesome people by attending meetings. The feeling of camaraderie and knowing that everyone at that meeting is willing to help out and wants to see me get the most out of this hobby, is a great feeling.
I'm not addicted to Aquaria, I can quit any time I want ...
Polyps
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by Polyps »

Vote 1 for change. Im a long time lurker who has started a new account cause I wanted a new name :nut:. This place need a shake up, Regardless of RC numbers RTAW is Australia's for front marine forum. I know more MASA members posting on other forums than on here. Why?? is what the people who can do something about it need to be asking. Rules defiantly need an update, EG. TOTM should be open to all, Paid members win homage, fame and prizes and TOTY eligibility, non members win TOTM banner under their MASA profile. Simple changes like this should prove beneficial in both forum activity, incentives and paid memberships; and yes 100% voted by community not comity (This is meant to be a reefing COMMUNITY). More experienced reefer need to also be a little more accommodating to newbies or questions that are often asked, posting a link to an older thread or disregarding the question and writing "parameters" as a response doesn't come across as very friendly or inviting of conversation; after all this is a forum not a information database. As angel101 said RTAW need to lighten up so discussions can be had, its almost as though people are afraid to post for reason or another. New times and new ideas are needed, MASWA recent frag auction sound so much more appealing than monthly meeting local reefers home with tea and biscuits.
Last edited by Polyps on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
acronut
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne,Australia

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by acronut »

i think this thread actually shows rtaw has not gone stale, rather just the posts of late have been a little boring...
So sorry officer.... i wasnt aware tangs needed so much space :/

5.5x2.5x2 scorpion reef
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261093
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: What happened to RTAW?

Post by jayellul »

petergriffin wrote:I mainly use RTAW for MASWA. I have met some of my best friends through it and thd meetings are great and so are all the meetings we go to. Im sorry if you cant find the value in paying $30 for that.

Reef central advanced topics are a repeat of a lot of the same things over and over. But I do agree our advanced discussion is a little lack lustre of late but perhaps there is swing towards simplified reefing.

And contrary to people's belief the PC&S dont vote for who they like it Is for the best tank
And comparing our tank to those with pair of 20k peppermint angels and a full time person to maintain their tank isn't fair not do I believe it worthy as a person's contribution to the reefing community and effort put in also matters. Not how large wallet you have.

and if you are herd just to get TOTM I suggest you step back from the hobby for a while and asses why it is your doing this.


This does not seem to reflect in reality.
Post Reply

Return to “Site Announcements, Questions, Comments and Suggestions”