Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ver1.0

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

NeillW
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:52 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by NeillW »

Nice!
I got an edge with continuous water changes to!
We should totally start an exclusive club. Lets get t-shirts and mugs made and possibly apply for a tax exempt status.

Image
Image
Image
This was me testing is before it got hidden in the cupboard
Image
elliven
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:58 am
Posts Per Page: Canberra

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by elliven »

rodders wrote:I researched it before I got the reactor and it can be used together. I know it's not as efficient


I've done it before, it does work, but I placed the carbon in a filter sock inside the reactor as I was changing it more frequently than the rowaphos and stopped potential grinding.
"Common sense is not so common."
Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique (1764)
rodders
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Posts Per Page: Shellharbour NSW

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by rodders »

Thanks for the advice Elliven, I'm still working out how much and how often to change the media. I'm running about 25ml of Rowaphos & 25g of Rowacarbon, I will probably change it fortnightly. Any recommendations anyone?
rodders
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Posts Per Page: Shellharbour NSW

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by rodders »

NeillW wrote:Nice!
I got an edge with continuous water changes to!
We should totally start an exclusive club. Lets get t-shirts and mugs made and possibly apply for a tax exempt status.


The continuous water change is so under-rated! lol
rodders
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Posts Per Page: Shellharbour NSW

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by rodders »

I added about 2.5kg of Live Rock 2 days ago, a fresh shipment of uncured rock from a LFS. It was light for it's size so hopefully nice and porous.
I cleaned it up a bit, removed some sponges & detritus, It smelled nice & fresh but it's gotta do what it's gotta do...Let the die back & cycle begin....

Day 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 1 (24hrs)
Ammonia 0.75ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 2
Ammonia 2.0ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

A milky haze developed day 1
Image
RHS of tank
Image
LHS of tank
Image
deediro
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 3:02 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by deediro »

Any updates on this mate?
titusho
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:49 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by titusho »

very nice :clap: :clap: :clap:
rodders
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Posts Per Page: Shellharbour NSW

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by rodders »

Well I guess It's about time I did an update...
My Fluval Edge has been running for about 4 Months now. After an initial setback with my uncured live causing very high levels of ammonia (off the scale) & not lowering despite large water changes. I ditched the rock and added some cured live rock which quickly brought the remaining ammonia down. The cycle was complete with Nitrate peaking at 10ppm then slowly reducing to 0ppm.

Tank Shot 15/11/14
Image
rodders
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Posts Per Page: Shellharbour NSW

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by rodders »

My auto water change system is working great, the Kamoer dosing pump has been reliable, running about 4 mins every hour 24/7 since the tank was set up 4 months ago.
Also the Media reactor has been working great, I change the media every 4 weeks with 50g of Rowaphos and 50g Rowacarbon.
Phosphate levels are below 0.04ppm with no increase since 2 Ocellaris clowns added over a month ago.
Image

For temperature control I've installed a Resun CL-85 chiller/heater. I have connected it to the output of the Media reactor closed loop & installed the unit beside the aquarium cabinet. It works great, I was worried the very low flow rate (using reactor pump) was going to be an issue but with a few cooler days it has been running on heating, keeping the tank within 0.5 Deg C of 26C and a hot day yesterday had it running on cooling which brought the tank temp down to the set temp with no problems. I have insulated the return hose to reduce heat gain.

I'm realistic about Peltier 'electronic' chillers & their limits/inefficiencies. In my case it suits, no big heat gain or loss in the room & the house is air-conditioned on hot days. IMO the smallest refrigerant chiller would be too powerful for my 6gal Edge. I love the fact it switches between heating & cooling and is working fine with such a low flow rate (A review will be coming soon).

Rear of tank with the back off. The hoses with green taps are the auto water change drains which go to the blue waste drum underneath. The RHS hose is the closed loop feed to the media reactor and the LHS insulated hose is the closed loop return from the chiller. The 3mm clear hose on the RHS is the feed from the dosing pump which drips into tank
Image

I have upgraded the light from a Micmol Mini Colour to a Radion XR15w PRO, Awesome light! I liked the Micmol but was not 100% happy with the colour & wanted more colour controllability. The Radion has great programability & light coverage with the supplied wide angle optics. I have it set to Radiant colour running at 35% brightness. I'm making a custom hood in keeping with the stock look to the Edge.

View of Radion on DIY temporary aluminium brackets
Image
funebris
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 am
Posts Per Page: South Brisbane

Re: Rodder's 23L Fluval Edge with Continuous Water Change Ve

Post by funebris »

This is an amazing build.
So glad to see the AO heater removed tho!
I have lost more than one tank to them going rogue over the years.
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”