Aquaforest SPS Pico Work Tank (12 litres)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

Thanks Pete. Yes, pretty happy with the PAR.

Not much to report. Will post tank shots shortly. Been having an ongoing problem with phosphate. Been using NSW, which I tested had a Po4 reading of .17ppm. Also suspect some Po4 is leaching out of the coral sand and rock, which I have recycled from an old tank I shut down. To combat this and future Po4 issues I plan to use GFO. However, with a tank this small I could not find a commercially available reactor that would suit, so I built a nano reactor. Really happy with the way this turned out, I even built two more for other tanks I may use it on (do excuse the grey John Guest elbow, awaiting for white ones to make it look pretty).

The dimensions are 300mm high and acrylic tube is 50mm diameter. As real estate in a nano is so precious i've built the reactor to run outside so hopefully it wont leak. I believe I have taken most precautions in the design of this:

(a)to allow for a better join between flanges (upper and lower plate) and acrylic tube I have recessed a groove in both upper and lower flanges so that the tube sits inside this groove and therefore allows a seal to occur on the outside, inside rim and surface of ends. The cement I used is thick acrylic cement (Acrifix).

(b) used pressure push fitting John Guest fittings, elbows are tapped and threaded with teflon tape.

(b) lid is secured with a rubber O ring and screwed down with 5 M6 nylon screws.


Image

After building the reactor, I have come to realise that with a tank this small I should only use 3 gms of GFO media, which is barely noticeable in my nano reactor. In the pic above I am using half the recommended dose 1.5gms as a starting dose and you can see just how little this is (small patch above the sponge). However, i plan to also use the reactor to house some GAC. So the space in the reactor wont go to waste. Also believe this could be successfully used as a bio pellet reactor.
spwa
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 am
Posts Per Page: Clontarf QLD

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by spwa »

Nice job on the reactor... do you work with acrylics? where did you get your supplies for the Diy projects?
I am not addictive person I just get mildly obsessed with things.
Simon's 5ft Shallow 380lt
Simon's 3ft Mixed System CLOSED
Simon's 40cm Cube CLOSED
There's always a plan for a new project, but don't tell my wife.(Opps she Knows now)
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

spwa wrote:Nice job on the reactor... do you work with acrylics? where did you get your supplies for the Diy projects?


Thanks Mate, my line of work is not in acrylics but enjoy working with acrylic on the side. I get all my acrylic from http://plasticsforindustry.com.au have been doing so for years and never had a problem with them.
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

Finally I get a chance to post some pics - not easy to do with a tank at work.
Tank is maturing well. I see lots of Amphipods running around and phosphate is down to .03. Note. As I'm planning to try an SPS dominated tank, everything but the green pocci are just visitors and will be removed once more SPS are introduced.
Individual pics of corals.

Torch
Image
Green Pocci
Image
Rainbow Acan
Image
Zoa Garden
Image

FTS shots, not much to look at as most corals are small frags at this stage. Aim is to grow staying corals out into show pieces
Image
Image
Will add more SPS coral frags. Pm me if you have any for sale in melb :)
swinkl3
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by swinkl3 »

Wow, what an awesome build! Really like the detail you put into the led build/par readings.

How has the reactor been? How much % of water/frequency do you find you need to keep everything happy?

Looking forward to seeing some SPS in there.
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

swinkl3 wrote:Wow, what an awesome build! Really like the detail you put into the led build/par readings.

How has the reactor been? How much % of water/frequency do you find you need to keep everything happy?

Looking forward to seeing some SPS in there.


Thanks swinkl3. The reactor has been going good, although as you can see in earlier pics it is oversized for this tank. I have now built a PVC prototype of a pico reactor that sits inside the tank. Its actually in the tank when i took the pics in previous post and I think is well hidden. I am in the process of building a couple of clear acrylic pico reactors. But here are some pics of the prototype that is currently in use. This has been working really well so far and is more to scale.

Image

Image

Water changes are: 100% weekly using ASW (red sea)
mason91
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:03 am
Posts Per Page: Central Coast

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by mason91 »

Awesome build, would love to have an office tank but not seeing it every weekend would worry me for such a small tank :/
Good stuff
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

New addition from Reeflections :thumbsup:

Image


FTS
Image


Here is a close up of green zoas.
Image

Photos were taken with the iPhone 6 Plus and I attempted to slightly corrected using Avairy
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

Everything going well. To track Ca, Alk, and Mg, I created an excel spreadsheet to see weekly drop. The thin horizontal target lines are where things should be at after a water change based on RedSea Coral Pros stats. At the end of each week, before a 100% water change, I test all three parameters. Using weekly depletion averages calculated from spreadsheet, i will start manually dosing Randys Recipie 2 to maintain target levels. The Alk axis is displayed horizontally on the right but sometimes does not show in this post depending on which device I use to access the forum.

Image

Also since switching to RSCP I have .00 phosphates so have not needed to run nor build my GFO reactor. Trying to now increase phosphates by the addition of a small yellowtail damsel and small feeds using Goniopwer.

Will post pics shortly. I have had to bring tank home for the holidays and with some new coral additions, somethings did get moved around slightly.
Last edited by chrismelb on Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

Here is FTS

Additions include strawberry shortcake, pale green/blue stag (which has now just turned bright green), purple acro frag, and bi colour fungia.

Image

Image

Starting to colour up again, lost colour when I firt got it.
Image

Purple acro
Image


Green stag
Image

Fungia
Image
Last edited by chrismelb on Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”