Pizza and Pizza Ovens, Post yours and show off!!!

A place to discuss all the off topic, jokes, and fun stuff. You will be amazed at what gets exposed at low tide!

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Low Tide

bimborocks
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1034
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:54 am
Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW

Re: Pizza and Pizza Ovens, Post yours and show off!!!

Post by bimborocks »

searlesy wrote:That's a great looking area, how long do you find the oven holds the heat for once it goes out? I do quite a bit of overnight cooking in mine after the pizza is done, mostly pulled pork or pulled beef, but occasionally a curry or two.

The prep area is the go, is a pain without one! I made mine mostly from FJ pine slabs, with many coats of decking oil and then furniture makers wax over the top, but I also picked up a stone benchtop for one side. They are quite often available very cheap if you are willing to work around the available sizes. Next up is a sink, and I was actually contemplating putting an underbench oven in, but that might be getting a bit ridiculous!


If I leave the door off the oven is around 130-150 the next morning and if the door is on it will be closer to 200 - I fire my oven up to about 300-350 or pizzas. The next morning I do a lot of breads etc or slow cooked meats. Yesterday for Australia day I did a 3.2kg rack of beef short ribs - in at 8:30 (150C) and got a small fire going just to seal the beat and get the juices flowing as well as make some coals - on with some smoking chips and then left it all day to its own devices. Put a bbq sauce on for the last hour and pulled it out at 5:00pm for a 30min rest :thumbsup:
Image
Image
Image
searlesy
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 8968
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:40 am
Posts Per Page: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Pizza and Pizza Ovens, Post yours and show off!!!

Post by searlesy »

Nice! I have just purchased a smoker as well, as I struggled to get the temperature low enough to really smoke in the pizza oven. If I have any flame or even coals, my oven tends to sit at 160-180, and drops down to below 150 once the embers are dead. I think I might need to have a chat with you about some cooking techniques! Some things I have down pat, and other things still working on.

I do my pizzas with a rolling flame, temp is well up into the 500s at the top of the oven, base temp probably close to what you are talking about.

I did a beef brisket in the pizza oven, it was good, but a little bit overdone. In the smoker, I did it at 85 degrees for 9 hours, and it was bloody awesome!
Post Reply

Return to “Low Tide”