RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship
-
robthepom
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1506
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02 am
- Posts Per Page: Gold Coast
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
Thanks for the tip
will do
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
-
urbanrat84
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 834
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:50 am
- Posts Per Page: Qld
-
cody.sheridan-2008
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2639
- Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 am
- Posts Per Page: Waverton, North Sydney, NSW Australia 2060
- Contact:
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
Last checked most aussies live on the coast though...
-
robthepom
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1506
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02 am
- Posts Per Page: Gold Coast
Re:
urbanrat84 wrote:robthepom wrote:All you guys should enter a tank, it's easy![]()
Not all of us have saltwater creeks at the bottom of our yards! Following along
I know how lucky I am, I often pinch myself to believe its my house, after coming from a tiny terrace house in England
Where you live shouldn't stop you doing a pico, they are easy and really very interesting, give it a go

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
-
urbanrat84
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 834
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:50 am
- Posts Per Page: Qld
-
robthepom
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1506
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02 am
- Posts Per Page: Gold Coast
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
Mr Miagi wrote::thumbsup:
A bit of mangrove care, but use a spray bottle filled with freshwater to rinse the leaves of your mangroves everynow and again! Simulates rain, and helps the plant fulfill one of its natural methods to rid itself of salt.
This was a really good tip
I rinse the leaves with RO as I do the daily top up, and have been very surprised by the amount of salt that forms on the leaves, this will hopefully keep them growing

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
-
Kah
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth, WA
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
xD This gets me asking the question - Could the mangrove ever pull out enough salt to affect the salinity of a pico?
-
Mr Miagi
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4468
- Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
- Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
Kah wrote:xD This gets me asking the question - Could the mangrove ever pull out enough salt to affect the salinity of a pico?
Nothing near what evaporation would, no.
--Cheers, Benny
-
robthepom
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1506
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02 am
- Posts Per Page: Gold Coast
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
ahhhhhhh look I found a little crab, it must have come with the rock or sand


I'd like to keep the mangroves as heathy as possible so I will be lowering the salinity about once a month to see if it helps with the growth


I'd like to keep the mangroves as heathy as possible so I will be lowering the salinity about once a month to see if it helps with the growth
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
-
robthepom
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1506
- Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:02 am
- Posts Per Page: Gold Coast
Re: RobThePom - Zero $ Currumbin Creek Biotope
Update time..
I did a 99% WC at the weekend, the puddle is chugging along, herman and his hermits are doing well munching on the macro, I have also started feeding brime and Mysis to keep the crab happy.
The two submerged mangrove died, which is not surprising really
the other two are doing well, I rinse the leaves most days in RO when I do the daily top up.
Tank got to 31deg over the weekend




Bit of a boring update actually, I actually enjoy looking into this tank checking the crab and hermits are ok, the crab is getting very bold so more meaty chunks will go in soon
the HOB is working well and I have noticed more and more pods appearing which come in off the macro from my main tank

I did a 99% WC at the weekend, the puddle is chugging along, herman and his hermits are doing well munching on the macro, I have also started feeding brime and Mysis to keep the crab happy.
The two submerged mangrove died, which is not surprising really
the other two are doing well, I rinse the leaves most days in RO when I do the daily top up.Tank got to 31deg over the weekend




Bit of a boring update actually, I actually enjoy looking into this tank checking the crab and hermits are ok, the crab is getting very bold so more meaty chunks will go in soon
the HOB is working well and I have noticed more and more pods appearing which come in off the macro from my main tank

Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 3 footer
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
Rob The Pom Tank Journal - 5 footer
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness
