Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Well I haven't really used a drill much before so not super confident I will be able to do a neat job... Also there aren't that many cross-frame places I can drill to, whereas I can glue it to the actual wall if needed. I bought construction grade liquid nails and the guy at Bunnings seemed to think it would be fine... That said - I'll know soon enough if it works! :crossfingers:

Htu08 wrote:
Also, can you also breed us some Red Line Cleaners, the price for them is ridoncolous! :P

I'll work on this, but given my complete lack of experience in raising shrimp, it could take a while! :roflmao:

damer wrote:
How are you planning to separate the juvies within the tub?

Well hopefully my plan is not to! I chose this type of grow-out system over a series of smaller "batch-style" tanks to hopefully provide a larger volume of water that will encourage rapid growth, with so many fish that it is harder for single fish to be targeted. Also it will mean the biggest fish are chosen for sale when ready (regardless of age) thus opening up more space to add smaller ones. Currently my clowns spend 4-6 weeks in the original larval tank, which is adaptable (i.e. I add different levels of filtration as the weeks progress), then they are moved onto a larger tank, which in the past has been a standard 2ft glass tank. Now my plan is to transition them straight to the big tub. Depending on how this goes, I might need to add a stage between this if they don't cope with the larger space straight away. I find that by 3 weeks the babies have figured out that human hand = food! So they should be easy enough to feed in a larger volume... hopefully... we will see! :clownfish:
damer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5872
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:13 am
Posts Per Page: Geelong, Victoria.

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by damer »

Mmmm,ok.

Can I suggest making up some "nets" using pvc pipe and fittings to make a cube or rectangle sized "tank". Using various fitting you can make hooks to go over the tub and use mesh such as a thin shade cloth to enclose it. These will allow you to keep them separate. As they grow you can then move them up into the appropriate basket checking each one for deformities such as fill flare etc.
"Don't ever give up!! Today might be your day for a miracle...."

Damien's 1300 x 1200 x 600
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2639
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 am
Posts Per Page: Waverton, North Sydney, NSW Australia 2060
Contact:

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by cody.sheridan-2008 »

Looks cool! How's it coming?
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by SammyJ »

Hi Cody! I got about half the insulation up on Thursday and the air conditioner is installed ready to go! :clap: Hoping to get the other half done tomorrow, though I might die in the heat... :roflmao: I guess I could just turn on the air conditioner for a bit as the fumes from the glue weren't as bad as I was expecting. Also problem solving the plumbing at the moment - the tub has a 100mm drainage fitting which we need to convert to a usable diameter. Got a second hand sump which has passed the leak test, so pretty much ready to plumb it and add water! Will post some more pics tomorrow arvo if I finish the insulating and it looks half respectable! :clownfish:
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by jayellul »

Tagging along, looks like a great project. More pics!
SammyJ
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:55 am
Posts Per Page: Alderley, Brisbane

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Air Conditioned Shed! New Pics!

Post by SammyJ »

Well it's been a while I know but I finally have some new pics! Finished the insulation and the shed is operational... well the larval tanks and rotifers are in there anyway... :roflmao: Everything has been moved into place, just need to finish the plumbing on the big tub system :devil: The only thing I will be adding is a bank of breeder tanks where the buckets (and other assorted mess) against the right side wall. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel - it's almost done! :clap:
View through the doorway:
Image
Left side - rotifer culture buckets etc
Image
Eventually there will be 4 x breeder tanks with their own sump where the buckets are :-) Just waiting for my stand/shelving to arrive!
Image
The tank you can see on the bench in the middle will be a grow-out system for these guys, given my pair of Banggai cardinals have decided it's time to jump on the breeding band wagon! :roflmao:
Image

Anyhow thanks for looking! I can't wait for the big tub to be operational - this truly is an addictive hobby! :cheers:
cody.sheridan-2008
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2639
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 am
Posts Per Page: Waverton, North Sydney, NSW Australia 2060
Contact:

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by cody.sheridan-2008 »

Coming along well mate! Thanks for the update!
MASS President 2013, 2014
900x620x500 Rimless SPS tank - Pico time!
NewyReefer
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2736
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:46 am
Posts Per Page: Newcastle

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by NewyReefer »

Wow :withyou: looking great
lorby
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:26 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by lorby »

Very impressive!!! Good work :D
Thommo01
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:48 pm
Posts Per Page: Northgate, Adelaide

Re: Backyard Hatchery - Purpose-built Air Conditioned Shed!

Post by Thommo01 »

Looks like a great set up. Make sure you keep us all updated.
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”