Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
Benhowardbath
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Bangalow
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Hi Bruce,
Great build mate! I havn't used a diffuser yet, but have seen photo's of the diffuser that you would use in a typical office setting under some floro's. In regards to the DSB I still run one and have also removed one. If I was to start a new build I would forgo the DSB and claim the space. I'm a big fan of the DSB, but it is just not necessary when running a well built scrubber.
Caevan I understand your apprehension towards scrubbers, It took me 6 weeks before I was convinced it was worth a try. All I can say, for me and my tank it works. And far exceeded my expectations! Keep an eye on Bruce's build, it looks to me that he is doing a great job and will have fantastic success with is ATS and tank, it may convince you to have a closer look.
Good luck fellas!!
Ben
Great build mate! I havn't used a diffuser yet, but have seen photo's of the diffuser that you would use in a typical office setting under some floro's. In regards to the DSB I still run one and have also removed one. If I was to start a new build I would forgo the DSB and claim the space. I'm a big fan of the DSB, but it is just not necessary when running a well built scrubber.
Caevan I understand your apprehension towards scrubbers, It took me 6 weeks before I was convinced it was worth a try. All I can say, for me and my tank it works. And far exceeded my expectations! Keep an eye on Bruce's build, it looks to me that he is doing a great job and will have fantastic success with is ATS and tank, it may convince you to have a closer look.
Good luck fellas!!
Ben
-
saltydog
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2618
- Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm
- Posts Per Page: sydney
-
caevan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4482
- Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:19 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Benhowardbath wrote:
Caevan I understand your apprehension towards scrubbers, It took me 6 weeks before I was convinced it was worth a try. All I can say, for me and my tank it works. And far exceeded my expectations! Keep an eye on Bruce's build, it looks to me that he is doing a great job and will have fantastic success with is ATS and tank, it may convince you to have a closer look.
Good luck fellas!!
Ben
I think you misread my post, I have no issue with scrubbers I first started using an algal scrubber exclusively on my tanks in 1994, my previous tank was a completely air driven system built around an algal scrubber, so I think I know a little about algal scrubbers. I just don't think the design begin used is efficient nor the size adequate.
-
Benhowardbath
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Bangalow
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Hi Caevan,
I am sorry if I miss read your post. It's just that you have not come across that positive on the issue. Do you still use a scrubber? If so what type size are you using? Are you happy with the results?
The idea of a smaller screen is to promote denser algae (3d) growth, this coupled with strong lighting, on a double sided waterfall screen is producing some fantastic results. It is also very easy to build a scrubber that does not work or one that is inefficient. There are many factors/reasons this may occur e.g weak lighting, screen to small or large, not enough water flow etc. I do confess I am very pro scrubbers and I would like to get the word out there. I wish I started like you back in 94, it would have saved me $$$$ and a big long painful learning curve.
Ben
I am sorry if I miss read your post. It's just that you have not come across that positive on the issue. Do you still use a scrubber? If so what type size are you using? Are you happy with the results?
The idea of a smaller screen is to promote denser algae (3d) growth, this coupled with strong lighting, on a double sided waterfall screen is producing some fantastic results. It is also very easy to build a scrubber that does not work or one that is inefficient. There are many factors/reasons this may occur e.g weak lighting, screen to small or large, not enough water flow etc. I do confess I am very pro scrubbers and I would like to get the word out there. I wish I started like you back in 94, it would have saved me $$$$ and a big long painful learning curve.
Ben
-
caevan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4482
- Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:19 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Benhowardbath wrote:Hi Caevan,
I am sorry if I miss read your post. It's just that you have not come across that positive on the issue. Do you still use a scrubber? If so what type size are you using? Are you happy with the results?
The idea of a smaller screen is to promote denser algae (3d) growth, this coupled with strong lighting, on a double sided waterfall screen is producing some fantastic results. It is also very easy to build a scrubber that does not work or one that is inefficient. There are many factors/reasons this may occur e.g weak lighting, screen to small or large, not enough water flow etc. I do confess I am very pro scrubbers and I would like to get the word out there. I wish I started like you back in 94, it would have saved me $$$$ and a big long painful learning curve.
Ben
These are images of the original scrubber I built



It was a dump bucket design housed in a two foot tank, light by a single 150W MH lamp. The backward and forward motion creates a better flow of water through the algae. The algae had better nutrient uptake, hence a more efficient growth. I tried both stationary screens and dump version, The dump version blew away the stationary screen in terms of performance. I had a very thick mat of various turf algae growing housing a large population of pods. I am not sure if you are running any other forms of filtration but I had no need to run a skimmer when I had this scrubber. If you want to read up more about this type of scrubber try and get a hold of "Dynamic Aquaria" by Adey and Loveland, this is the first book where the ATS was first described including the science behind it and the design parameters behind the most efficient scrubbers.
If you do a search you should find my old tank journal of my second tank which was a completely air driven design. The ATS was like a large water wheel, there may even be some photos of the scrubber in the journal.
Currently I am not running an ATS mainly because I have yet to come up with a design I am happy with that will work with my current setup.
I am happy to discuss it further with you but maybe you should PM me so we don't hijack Mark's thread.
-
fongyfong
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 856
- Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:18 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Tank looks beautiful mate do you guys sell the sansibar rock? if so how much ?
-
Benhowardbath
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Bangalow
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Hi Caevan,
Thanks for the info and shots! ATM I'm happy with my scrubber, but I will have a look at your tank journal!
All the best,
Ben
Thanks for the info and shots! ATM I'm happy with my scrubber, but I will have a look at your tank journal!
All the best,
Ben
-
greeni
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2318
- Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:01 am
- Posts Per Page: Farmborough Heights N.S.W
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Lookin good Bruce, i'm taggin along


-
AussieReefr
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 102
- Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:05 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Being over a month without an update
What's been happening
What's been happening
-
Aquariums@Asquith
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:23 am
- Posts Per Page: Asquith NSW
Re: Massive Reef Aquarium@Asquith
Been an absolutely MENTAL last month down here but today I finally got some time and was able to construct the central pillar which hides the piping!




In the next couple of days I will endeavour to do the rest of the aquascaping and get more pictures uploaded!




In the next couple of days I will endeavour to do the rest of the aquascaping and get more pictures uploaded!
Aquariums@Asquith:, 385 Pacific Hwy, Asquith, NSW
(02) 9987 0913
Mobile 0420 785 832
[directory]356[/directory]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AquariumsAsquith/128683683814177
Email:asquithaqua@hotmail.com
(02) 9987 0913
Mobile 0420 785 832
[directory]356[/directory]
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AquariumsAsquith/128683683814177
Email:asquithaqua@hotmail.com