G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Well I had to go and buy another coral :wall: worse yet, an SPS that required me to rescape the top where I keep all the SPS. Among all the trying to get everything to fit, I demolished my 2 biggest acro colonies as I tried to split the rock they were both on :furious: I think it will be for the best in the end though because it freed up the best spots for the most colourful frags I have and I can look forward to seeing them grow into nice colonies. What I didn't expect was to win TOTM just now :o and everyone will see a tank that looks like it has just been assembled. But it has forced me to get off my butt,borrow a better camera(still just me operating it though) and take some better pics for my journal.
Image
Drag race past Itdepends ancora frag.
Image
Morph corner
Image
Arty? shot
Image
Frag from one of the colonies I smashed
Image
One of the acros I put in instead
Image
Image
Image
New colour for my zoa field
Image
Fragged from a local reefer
Image
Image
New coral has nasty sweepers
Image
I am assuming the bicolour angel is keeping this acanth from extending because pieces in my frag tank look fine.
Image
Clearfelled area with promising new growth
Image
New pair of clowns my wife couldn't resist. I can't be certain but I'm going with Percula as an ID.
PapaG
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:28 am
Posts Per Page: Japan

Post by PapaG »

Awesome looking tank and congrats on the TOTM win :cheers:

:thumbsup:
Rhys123
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3752
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:54 am
Posts Per Page: Darwin NT (I am about to escape Hill Billy Heaven)

Post by Rhys123 »

Hey G1v1n

Congrats love the tank.

I wish I would of thought of doing what you did before we did this.

Image

My wife would probably divorce me if I cut a 6 foot hole in it though (though it is tempting)

Cheers Steve
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

You could always play a marine documentary DVD and save lots of time and effort :roflmao:

At this point I should do a belated "the making of" post ;)
This is the old 3fter as it was starting to get too full.
Image
Blank wall that's just crying out for some serious surgery.
Image
Understanding, tolerant wife doing some light dusting.
Image
It's amazing how little coral it takes to fill a 3ft tank :roflmao:
Image
This is my "purple phase" where rampant algae took over- it eventually overgrew and starved itself.
Image
The rest is pretty much history (added new stuff, made auto topoff and dosers) but I spent today rescaping the SPS section (again) to gain more height and more usable space near the light. I have some brown frags that should be pale pink/purple if I'm nice to them. :roflmao:
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

My TOTM prize. :clap:
Image
This will make a great upgrade to my frag tank - may even become supplemental lighting to a skylight over the display ;)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Cheers guys
Time for an update - a few things have changed since those pics were taken such as rescaping the acro end of the tank and removing most of the large acro colonies to allow some more colourful frags I had to grow. They are coming along but it will be a while until I get that "full" look I want - I think it will be worth the wait though. Also the clarki clown was removed(gone to stud in a friends tank) because it was too territorial. The Bicolour angel also went due to it pecking slightly at corals(just enough to keep the acanthastrea from opening) and it would also bully new fish.
In their place went a pair of Percula clowns, a Blue(regal) tang, a foxface and a Solarensis wrasse. The new fish have settled in well despite my QT cracking 1.5 weeks into quarantine, causing a premature end to the Q. I was at the computer with my back to the tank when I heard it crack across the base - very lucky I suppose.
Anyway time for some pics, I'm still not happy with the quality of the pics but I think it's the best I can do with my camera.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Another interesting story - When the tank cracked and I had to add the fish and corals to the main tank I also transferred some trochus snails without acclimating them. The change in water triggered them and the 30 odd snails in the tank to spawn - there were clouds of eggs and sperm everywhere. It has happened to me before but I have many more snails this time so I was worried about spoiling the water with so much gunk so I did a waterchange after I thought they were done but that started them off again. Then I put them all in a bucket with a heater and powerhead till the next day when they had quite finished:)
Soon I'm expecting to be overrun with tiny snails again - at least the corals had a good feed.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

I've been a bit slack with updating lately but here are a few pics. Everything is going fine, I've had to remove a few corals as others have grown and I've blown a t5 ballast on the light unit but that's not too bad overall for about 2 years running.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
I've been having problems with fish nipping corals. First it was a bicolour angel that pecked at acans and anthelia so I traded him for a foxface because they are reportedly usually reef safe. I guess this one didn't read the same articles I did because it seemed to love biting the clams right in the middle and stopping them from opening at all. The foxface was traded for this Margined coralfish as I love butterflys and I was starting to gather aiptasia in the tank. The margin took care of the aiptasia nicely but then started on the clams too. He soon gave up on those luckily, but still likes to peck at acans, trachys anything that extends feeding tentacles. I guess the tentacles look just like aiptasia to him :wall:
Image
I may soon have to think of another fish to replace him with.
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Congrats on 4th place in the 2008 TOTY.

Well done Gavin. :clap: :clap:

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rusty1
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 9065
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:28 pm
Posts Per Page: Hope Island, Gold Coast

Post by Rusty1 »

Congrats Gavin. Nice to see mixed reefs polling well :)
Tank Now For Sale
Reef In The Wall
Tank on Facebook- Closed
Reef In The Wall- FB
n0rk: For all I say, I still love halides. The "crispness" is still unrivalled in most situations. I am a schmuck who wants to go halides.
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”