Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it.

Hi Corry, long time. Yep, the tank is going well, probably don't spend the time I use to on it but honestly it doesn't need it nowadays.

We're back home now so the update can't be far off...

Rod. :thumbsup:
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Well all good things must come to an end and my tank is no exception.

It is official that my tank has been shut down this weekend.

Thank you to everyone that has helped and supported me over the years, I have really appreciated it!

I truly hope RTAW continues and only grows stronger as time goes by.

Good luck to you all and happy reefing!

Rod. :thumbsup:
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by colg »

One of the great tanks that I have followed. sad to hear it is gone.

Do you have any final pic’s to close out your journal?.?.
pebbles
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3296
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 10:13 am
Posts Per Page: sydney

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by pebbles »

This was an inspirational tank, and a great journey for many of us that travelled along for the ride.

Wishing you and your family all the best in the future Rod


:wavey:
angie
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Thanks guys. :)

Here's the last ever photo, taken a few weeks ago:
Image

The good news is all of my corals have gone into another Adelaide tank and frags into another, so my corals will live on!

Thanks again to those that have helped and inspired me over the years, but it's time for other projects!

Rod. :thumbsup:
ryanrid
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 5269
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 am
Posts Per Page: Abbotsford, NSW

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by ryanrid »

shame to see such a great tank shut down, you are the god father of SPS tanks in Aus. All the best in your future endeavours.
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Thank you Ryan, you are WAY too generous.

It was a very tough decision and one that took me a couple of years to make.

Emptying it out was like cutting off my arm.

Cheers,

Rod. :thumbsup:
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am
Posts Per Page: WA

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by MitchD »

I've been keeping my eye on your thread since joining. Truly an epic tank, something many here would aspire to, including myself.
How long was it up for in total? Are you stepping away from the hobby completely or just taking a bit of a break?
Rod the Reefer
Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
Posts: 6683
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:42 am
Posts Per Page: Greenhill, Adelaide, SA

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by Rod the Reefer »

Thanks for your kind words Mitch.

This tank was running for ten years, which was a reincarnation of my four footer which ran for five years, which was a reincarnation of my nano which ran for two years, which was a reincarnation of my pico. All up about 18 years I reckon.

I gave it a fair crack, but it is time I move on to other projects, so I believe I'm done with this hobby.

As I say it's a decision that was a long time coming and I believe it's the right one for me and my family now.

Rod. :thumbsup:
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Rod's True Gyre, Solar, LED, SPS Reef.

Post by sparker »

Sorry to hear Rod, will always go down as one of Australia's greatest ever. Shame I never made more of an effort to see it in person, but there is always your next tank :)
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”