I hate it when I open a tank journal that's got nothing but "i will be ordering this size tank, from this place... and it might be here in two months" and little else.. in your case though, there are alot of thoughts and design considerations bouncing around - so at least there's something to read :P
Floating Tank Design - For something a little bit different!
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
WarbyD
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2611
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am
- Posts Per Page: Mount Lawley, WA
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
I think that's up to you
The tank journal is exactly that, a journal - it's a place for you to record your thoughts, progress, etc and for us to ogle it and go "oooh puuuurdy"
I hate it when I open a tank journal that's got nothing but "i will be ordering this size tank, from this place... and it might be here in two months" and little else.. in your case though, there are alot of thoughts and design considerations bouncing around - so at least there's something to read :P
I hate it when I open a tank journal that's got nothing but "i will be ordering this size tank, from this place... and it might be here in two months" and little else.. in your case though, there are alot of thoughts and design considerations bouncing around - so at least there's something to read :P
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)
My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)
RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!
Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)
RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!
Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
-
callummc1
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
WarbyD wrote:I think that's up to youThe tank journal is exactly that, a journal - it's a place for you to record your thoughts, progress, etc and for us to ogle it and go "oooh puuuurdy"
I hate it when I open a tank journal that's got nothing but "i will be ordering this size tank, from this place... and it might be here in two months" and little else.. in your case though, there are alot of thoughts and design considerations bouncing around - so at least there's something to read :P
Yeah - I'm a little on the fence about it. I don't want to be one of those journals where everyone wants to see progress and feels cheated, but at the same time I kind of feel that there is some info that will need to be reproduced in the TJ and just wondering how far I let it go.
Any other thoughts people?
--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
-
callummc1
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
Just made the jump to centurion reefer 

--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
-
callummc1
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
For anyone who might have difficulty visualising the overflow / glass ceiling, I've added a couple of shots of my current Fluval Edge....
From the front.

Corner shot.

A shot of the chimney - this is where we are going to hide the BeanAnimal style overflow.

From the front.

Corner shot.

A shot of the chimney - this is where we are going to hide the BeanAnimal style overflow.

--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
-
callummc1
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
I've just completed some renders of my setup using a stand design similar to Danger's (although the render does not look as good as his stand - check it out in his tank journal - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=170255).
So this shot shows Nick's 3ft tank a 5',6" person (for perspective) and my 5ft tank.

The render here does not do the stand justice. Danger's stand is one of the best I have seen (check it out at the link above - first and second page have great photos).
So this shot shows Nick's 3ft tank a 5',6" person (for perspective) and my 5ft tank.

The render here does not do the stand justice. Danger's stand is one of the best I have seen (check it out at the link above - first and second page have great photos).
--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
Coming in a little late here, but for the covering of the wood and making it 'pretty' have you considered DIY fibreglassing? It's not hard, looks good. Just takes a LOT of effort. (Be prepared to do lots of sanding with 800grit+ wet/dry paper).
Dave
Dave
-
callummc1
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
Aydee wrote:Coming in a little late here, but for the covering of the wood and making it 'pretty' have you considered DIY fibreglassing? It's not hard, looks good. Just takes a LOT of effort. (Be prepared to do lots of sanding with 800grit+ wet/dry paper).
Dave
I'm still seeking solutions, so it's not late at all
I'm still looking for feedback, suggestions etc
Do you have any links / info on this method?
--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
-
Aydee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1996
- Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Canberra
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
Look at autorepair shops for fibreglassing equipment and manuals. (Car forums are great for fibreglassing suggestions and instructions).
Dave
Dave
-
nick_s_h
- RTAW Unregistered Business

- Posts: 912
- Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:15 am
- Posts Per Page: Bokarina/Kawana, Sunshine Coast, 4574.
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
very interesting thread, im tagging along for the journey 
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 2870662040
Trident Aquarium Supplies. Online Supplier Located In The Sunshine Coast!
Trident Aquarium Supplies. Online Supplier Located In The Sunshine Coast!
-
callummc1
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 109
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render
Aydee wrote:Look at autorepair shops for fibreglassing equipment and manuals. (Car forums are great for fibreglassing suggestions and instructions).
Dave
Thanks Dave, I'll check it out and post my thoughts here.
--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage