
Slawmans Solar Reef - New Skimmer - TOTF May Winner
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
cody.sheridan-2008
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2639
- Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:18 am
- Posts Per Page: Waverton, North Sydney, NSW Australia 2060
- Contact:
-
slawman
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1179
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Aquascaped - TOTF May Winner
All going pretty well. Transferred the Kalk reactor from my old tank the other day so the coralline has started to go wild. A few torches, hammer and snails.
Got my new DIY lighting rig in so now have about 100w of supplement LED lighting in addition to the tubes.
Latest fish addition in quarantine. Guess what he is.........?

A few tank shots



Got my new DIY lighting rig in so now have about 100w of supplement LED lighting in addition to the tubes.
Latest fish addition in quarantine. Guess what he is.........?

A few tank shots



Last edited by slawman on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
-
ssscuz
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3037
- Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
Nice purple tang mate!!
That's a great addition to the tank
That's a great addition to the tank
It's not a reef without some coral eaters, reefing on the edge.
Nathan's Starfire Stick 6fter
Nathans Mixed Reef 4ft (closed down aug 2013)
Join the Marine Society of Victoria today!!
Nathan's Starfire Stick 6fter
Nathans Mixed Reef 4ft (closed down aug 2013)
Join the Marine Society of Victoria today!!
-
danestead
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
coming along well. cant wait to see it as an established tank in the future 

-
slawman
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1179
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
Thanks Guys. Taking things nice and slow which I am finding a lot more relaxing an experience with everything staying nice and healthy. Slow and steady is the way to go. There are a few corals that came in on my live rock which are really doing well and the acro I transferred from my old cube has started to grow again under the sunlight, which is very encouraging. Bit early for acro but I needed to move it across before the old tank became my quarantine tank.
Everything seems to respond very positively to the sunlight...
The auto water change setup has been rock solid for the last five or six weeks and if it keeps up like that I will will be a happy camper.
Bean Animal setup excellent and I am glad I went down this track, silent and reliable. I was worried when I originally designed the overflow without a comb (to improve surface skimming) that all my little fellows would end up in the weir but not so, so far. The Blenny had one misadventure but not another so maybe he learned to stay away..... Water surface staying nice and clear with film only at the very corners.
Phosphates at zero and nitrates around 0.2. PH has come up to a max of 8.4 at the end of the day with the Kalk which I am happy with. Just keeping an eye on my Mg which tends to drop if you only add Kalk but I am not sure if the water changes will be enough at this stage to maintain a balance. Not really full on into the water params at the moment with the tank still so young.
Everything seems to respond very positively to the sunlight...
The auto water change setup has been rock solid for the last five or six weeks and if it keeps up like that I will will be a happy camper.
Bean Animal setup excellent and I am glad I went down this track, silent and reliable. I was worried when I originally designed the overflow without a comb (to improve surface skimming) that all my little fellows would end up in the weir but not so, so far. The Blenny had one misadventure but not another so maybe he learned to stay away..... Water surface staying nice and clear with film only at the very corners.
Phosphates at zero and nitrates around 0.2. PH has come up to a max of 8.4 at the end of the day with the Kalk which I am happy with. Just keeping an eye on my Mg which tends to drop if you only add Kalk but I am not sure if the water changes will be enough at this stage to maintain a balance. Not really full on into the water params at the moment with the tank still so young.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
-
millotoli
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1617
- Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 am
- Posts Per Page: Stirling/Adelaide
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
Hi Mate.
I am so in awe of your tank. i aspire to be this organised and clean with my build.
I am looking forward to seeing how you stock it and how it matures.
PERFECT
thanks Ollie
I am so in awe of your tank. i aspire to be this organised and clean with my build.
I am looking forward to seeing how you stock it and how it matures.
PERFECT
thanks Ollie
-
ssscuz
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3037
- Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
Looking good mate, what kalk reactor are you running? I'm thinking of running one on my new setup
It's not a reef without some coral eaters, reefing on the edge.
Nathan's Starfire Stick 6fter
Nathans Mixed Reef 4ft (closed down aug 2013)
Join the Marine Society of Victoria today!!
Nathan's Starfire Stick 6fter
Nathans Mixed Reef 4ft (closed down aug 2013)
Join the Marine Society of Victoria today!!
-
slawman
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1179
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
Its a KM500. Nice bit of kit and has not missed a beat over the last three years. Happy to recommend this one.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
-
slawman
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1179
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Slawmans Solar Reef - Some new additions - TOTF May Winn
millotoli wrote:Hi Mate.
I am so in awe of your tank. i aspire to be this organised and clean with my build.
I am looking forward to seeing how you stock it and how it matures.
PERFECT
thanks Ollie
Many thanks Ollie, appreciate your kind words.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
-
millotoli
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1617
- Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 am
- Posts Per Page: Stirling/Adelaide