Floating Tank Design - For something a little bit different!

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am
Posts Per Page: Mount Lawley, WA

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by WarbyD »

i love everything about it ... except the stand height haha... I personally would hate to have a tank as low as that.. looks like it's going to be a beautiful finished product though :)

As far as the base/chimney/hood goes I'm not sure I would be leaning towards plastic given the amount of weight that's going to be on that base, particularly given the unsupported area around it. Any flexing or warping of that plastic could spell disaster... Any reason you don't want to build it out of ply, mdf or even steel & skin it?

-Dave
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
callummc1
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by callummc1 »

WarbyD wrote:i love everything about it ... except the stand height haha... I personally would hate to have a tank as low as that. looks like it's going to be a beautiful finished product though :)


Believe it or not, the height of the stand is actually carefully calculated. Our living room has some very low couches and at this height the tank will be exactly at eye level when you are sitting down.

Having it at this height also means that you can enjoy looking down from the top of the tank. It provides a rather unique view as with most tanks surface movement would prevent you from getting a clear view downwards. The glass cealing on this means that you get to enjoy a crystal clear view from the top :)

The renders above are actually Nick's tank, mine is going to be a 5 footer :). So I'll have a lot more length.... I just wish I had somewhere to fit a 10ftx4ftx2.5ft monster :thumbsup:


WarbyD wrote:As far as the base/chimney/hood goes I'm not sure I would be leaning towards plastic given the amount of weight that's going to be on that base, particularly given the unsupported area around it. Any flexing or warping of that plastic could spell disaster... Any reason you don't want to build it out of ply, mdf or even steel & skin it?


It's going to be around 300kg by my calculations. Well designed and reinforced plastic using the appropriate materials should be more than sufficient for supporting the weight. We had actually considered using a slab of acrylic for the base, the problem with acrylic is painting it :wall:

Overall plastic is being considered because there is an aesthetic look that we are trying to achieve in terms of "clean lines". We don't want any visible joins on the corners etc (like you might get with laminex etc) and we are struggling to think of any other way to do it. I'd be seriously chuffed if someone could make some recommendations in this area.

I'll try to get a couple of shots of the existing Fluval hood posted today to show the effect we are looking for.

Thanks for the kind words! It's feedback like that that gives you the motivation to keep going with this type of thing (sometimes it all seems a little too complicated).
--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am
Posts Per Page: Mount Lawley, WA

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by WarbyD »

Could a thin layer of vinyl/acrylic or similar be heated and bent around a solid base to achieve the same look? I get what you're going for I'm just concerned about the strength over an extended period with the weight on top of it...

Either way it's extremely well thought out and I'm sure you won't go ahead with any design unless you've been reassured that all is going to work.. you've not rushed in to anything else in this without adequate deliberation so I don't see this aspect being any different :)

-Dave
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
callummc1
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by callummc1 »

WarbyD wrote:Could a thin layer of vinyl/acrylic or similar be heated and bent around a solid base to achieve the same look? I get what you're going for I'm just concerned about the strength over an extended period with the weight on top of it...


I hear you, I'm fairly confident it would be ok, but I'm completely open to suggestion as my initial investigations have indicated it could cost some serious $$. I'd prefer to spend on livestock really :)

WarbyD wrote:Either way it's extremely well thought out and I'm sure you won't go ahead with any design unless you've been reassured that all is going to work.. you've not rushed in to anything else in this without adequate deliberation so I don't see this aspect being any different :)

-Dave


Thanks for the vote of confidence - I hope you are right :)
--------------------------------------------
My flotaing aquarium - http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=224317
Finalising Design Stage
fightingfish
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:44 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by fightingfish »

I’m drooling with anticipation……… :-x
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 am
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, Qld.

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by mattgreen »

i would realy like one of these tanks!. being able to look down through crystal clear water would be amazing
fightingfish
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:44 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by fightingfish »

mattgreen wrote:i would realy like one of these tanks!. being able to look down through crystal clear water would be amazing



As long as the glass is kept clean :crossfingers:
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 am
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, Qld.

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by mattgreen »

fightingfish wrote:
mattgreen wrote:i would realy like one of these tanks!. being able to look down through crystal clear water would be amazing



As long as the glass is kept clean :crossfingers:


magnet scraper should be able to do that without an issue :thumbsup:
WarbyD
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 am
Posts Per Page: Mount Lawley, WA

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by WarbyD »

I had lots of trouble keeping my glass lids (when I had them) free of algae with the water level reasonably high... personally I think it will be a bit of a nightmare keeping them clean (unless you don't mind pulling them off every day to clean)...

Have you ever tried to use a magnet cleaner on lids matt? Unless you've got some way to secure the lids it will drive you insane :P
My OceanFree Nano Marine 96L (the new addiction!)

My AquaReef 400 (My old tank - long since shut down!)

RTAW Business Guidelines | RTAW Reefpedia | Join your local MASx!!

Check out (and "Like!") the MASWA FaceBook Page!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but they are not entitled to their own facts, Daniel Patrick Moynihan (March 16, 1927 – March 26, 2003). A four-term U.S. Senator, ambassador, administration official, and academic
mattgreen
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4347
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:15 am
Posts Per Page: Gold Coast, Qld.

Re: Floating Tank Design - Now with full tank shots / render

Post by mattgreen »

the top glass is secure its not lids. the waterlevel is up higher that glass your thinking off. have another look at the renders.

(its completly sealed except for a small opening thats taller in the middle)
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”