ACRO ALS 5000L TUB
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
ACRO AL
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2569
- Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:33 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
a video will be a 30 secs of nothing, and then a quick pulse....
-
JacksonLee
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1648
- Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:42 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth, Western Australia
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
Al, your the mad scientist of the reefing community, love your work!
-
n0rk
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 7821
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm
- Posts Per Page: An island smaller than the one I was on
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
It'll be interesting to see how the motor of the drill holds up long-term. Interesting concept, not one I've not contemplated myself many times before. Hopefully it works out well.
BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
-
nowlan
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1937
- Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:08 am
- Posts Per Page: Hawthorn, Melbourne
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
Can always replace drill with some industrial/cnc servo
-
n0rk
- Too Much Time On My Hands Reefer
- Posts: 7821
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm
- Posts Per Page: An island smaller than the one I was on
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
That was basically what I was going to suggest 

BENJAMIN ::: If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU ARE LOOKING FAR TOO CLOSELY. I FEEL VIOLATED.
-
Postal
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 854
- Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:36 am
- Posts Per Page: Chelmer, Brisbane
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
nowlan wrote:Can always replace drill with some industrial/cnc servo
Or a small child on a bicycle, neat mod al

-
chrispc66
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2595
- Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:34 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth WA
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
Hi Al
Thought I'd let you know that SS pipe will pit / corrode at the splash zone over time, resulting in chrome, nickel and iron to be released into the water in small quantaties. A fully submerged SS pipe would not corrode at normal water temps however. Is it possible to use plastic hose through the splash zone, and connect it to the SS pipe underwater via plastic clips ?
Cheers
Thought I'd let you know that SS pipe will pit / corrode at the splash zone over time, resulting in chrome, nickel and iron to be released into the water in small quantaties. A fully submerged SS pipe would not corrode at normal water temps however. Is it possible to use plastic hose through the splash zone, and connect it to the SS pipe underwater via plastic clips ?
Cheers
To get nowhere....follow the crowd.
-
ACRO AL
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2569
- Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:33 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
Hi chris, yes spot on, it has already done exactly that, pitted and rusted at the surface where water meets air.
Although it has taken 6 months for 316 to pit, I had some 304 before and it took 7 days.....
The element you see there is now secondary to the main titanium heat exchanger I am using out of a big chiller (thanks pacco), so may even get rid of it, but for now I have layered silicon in the affected areas on the pipe.
The reason I dont want to use connectors underwater is that the element is pressurised with fresh water, hence a blow out could cause dramas...
Seawater is relentless on even marine grade SS. The titanium should hold up.
Although it has taken 6 months for 316 to pit, I had some 304 before and it took 7 days.....
The element you see there is now secondary to the main titanium heat exchanger I am using out of a big chiller (thanks pacco), so may even get rid of it, but for now I have layered silicon in the affected areas on the pipe.
The reason I dont want to use connectors underwater is that the element is pressurised with fresh water, hence a blow out could cause dramas...
Seawater is relentless on even marine grade SS. The titanium should hold up.
-
chrispc66
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2595
- Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:34 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth WA
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
Hey Al,
Yes, the titanium should be fine at the splash zone. Just don't put any other metal nearby.
Cheers
Yes, the titanium should be fine at the splash zone. Just don't put any other metal nearby.
Cheers
To get nowhere....follow the crowd.
-
ACRO AL
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2569
- Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:33 am
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: ACRO ALS ULTRA REEF
New Vid of flow.
Use the purple goniopora (9 months in captivity so far, and no recession visible) as a guide to flow direction and velocity.
Also see the fish swim against current.
It takes the full video to see the entire revolution of the control arms flow capability.
http://www.exoticcorals.com.au/videos/flow.wmv
Use the purple goniopora (9 months in captivity so far, and no recession visible) as a guide to flow direction and velocity.
Also see the fish swim against current.
It takes the full video to see the entire revolution of the control arms flow capability.
http://www.exoticcorals.com.au/videos/flow.wmv