first attempt at a nano

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

Battling a little bit of cyano. Seems to be from me trying to dirty my water up a little for my clam. Maybe got a little too ambitious doing it. . . Lol. Oh well it's getting well under control

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

UPDATE

- modified skimmer works pretty damn well now. Was about to buy another one but see how this goes.

- clam wasn't happy originally he's doing awesome now. Managed to boost my nitrates from near undetectable to 2.5 and phosphates from undetectable to 0.03.

- tanks really filling out, gotta be real selective with these nano's as real estate is high business.

- for some reason calcium and magnesium is kinda high not sure why am not dosing but it's lowering alk which I am dosing.

- still on the hunt for a small blue boxfish and waiting for lfs to get me in a banded shrimp.

- had a cyano outbreak with the increase in nutrients but that is all leveling out and it's barely there now.


Current full tank shot

Image

Clowns have chosen the Duncan as their home

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

Feeding time

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

So I decided I had to rescape the nano, there was just too much dead spots at the back with the rock stacked how it was. So today I decided to re-scape. Was just debarcles. The heater I use to warm my water change has apparently died in the arse. So while I assumed my water was getting to a nice temperature it was infact at a dangerous low. This meant I had to be very manuveable which meant I couldn't swap as much water as I wanted. And was difficult to rescape as I didn't want to leave rocks out of the water for long. I had planned to do a 50% water change refill tank 75% and rescape underwater. Keeping my tank inhabitants in around 30% of what was taken out and 20% discarded with syphoning of the sand and deteis build ups. So things didn't go to plan and that meant the scape didn't go to plan. However I did achieve moving the rocks off the back wall which was the main reason I wanted to rescape. Them epoxy and glue didn't want to play ball and my temper came within a hair of throwing everything out on the lawn and starting from scratch.

I discarded some corals that didn't appeal to me anymore and made room for ones that I do still want in this tank. So it's looking a little more scarce than it was. Oh and I thought I killed he star fish with a rock slide and crushed him but he's still kicking and moving around.

Current Water Parameters
Nitrates - 2
Phosphates - <0.03
Alk - 9.9
Salinity - 35ppt
Calcium - 480
Magnesium - 1600
ammonia - 0 (tested just to see with rescape)

Current FTS
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

Couple of top down shots as the lights dim and change for night. Not the best trying to work my way around the lights reflection!

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

Removed some coral, fragged some and bought more frags. Also now have a CBS and an orange starfish

Image

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

Some of the newer frags and older ones doing well

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

Image

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CanIHazReef
Curious Reefer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am
Posts Per Page: Murrumbeena - Melbourne

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by CanIHazReef »

Would love to know what inhabitants you have at the moment?

Tank is looking great!
swazzle
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:04 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: first attempt at a nano

Post by swazzle »

CanIHazReef wrote:Would love to know what inhabitants you have at the moment?

Tank is looking great!


Hey man thanks!

Inhabitants
Fish 2 x black and white occy's, 1 flame angel

Inverts - 2 conch snails, 2 hermit crabs, 2 turbos, 1 coral banded shrimp

Coral - maybe 15 sps frags, acros, Millis, stylo. Couple of scans, blasto, sun coral, Duncan, zoas and a few I don't really know what their called ha!

Newest editions are the strawberry shortcake pictured above, Aussie paradise and red riding hood acros


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”