New setup 5x2x2

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

spicyburrito
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by spicyburrito »

Today after a few weeks without any real progress I went and seen a cabinet maker about having some cabinetry cut for the cladding of the stand and canopy. Everything there went well and for the exterior cladding I am only looking at 2.5 panels and they will cut and trim all the pieces for me, and also add some rebate holes in it for the magnets - I just need t find some that are suitable now.

I ended up getting the inside shell of the canopy built this afternoon, still need to add in some rails so that i can mount the 2 Radions onto. overall very happy with how it is turning out, wish it could have been a little shorter but for the height the Radions get mounted this was where I was at.

Image

Image

Image

Image

The front on picture the canopy looks as though it is sagging - this will be fixed once the rest of the cabinetry is added as it will be an extra 16mm thickness. I will probably also add in some more cross section supports inside aswell though just in case.
spicyburrito
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by spicyburrito »

I am looking to visit the cabinet makers during the next week. I am a little unsure if I should cut a hole in the top to let out any excess heat from inside the hood or not. I was going to have a circle cut directly above where I was going to mount the lights but I forgot that the Radion lights fans are actually on the underside of the light so this would not really work.

Looking for opinions on wether you would go with a hole cut the size of each of the lights above them, or a single hole in the middle of the hood basically between the two lights.

Image
Spuznik
Curious Reefer
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by Spuznik »

Hi,

I'd go with two.

It will let the radiating heat from the units vent easier and reduce the amount of heat circluating in the hood.

I would also mount fans on the sides or back to draw cooler air in to acellerate the heat leaving the hood.

Cheers,

Tim
spicyburrito
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by spicyburrito »

It's been a white since I last updated. Things have been moving along verrrryyy slowly but finally moving along again.

Turned out that the front piece of glass was not correct, it was supposed to be Starphire but was actually just a Chinese low iron pane.
Tank went back to the builder for a few months because he is over 2 hours drive away from where I live while he fixed the panel.

While it was there I had a full height blue background glued onto the back and a laser cut overflow comb.

I've been slowly filling over the last week but thinking that I should get the substrate in before filling any further.

Image

Image
spicyburrito
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by spicyburrito »

I picked up the cabinetry today, all ready to start assembling.

I test fitted the lower cabinet pieces against the stand tonight, pretty happy with how it is turning out.

Hood has the same cabinetry with a pair of lift up doors at the front and a gas strut support, just need to cut out sections of the plywood box for the hinges to be screwed into and a pair of holes on top for air ventilation.

Image

Image

Image

Also had to send back the Radion that I had currently on this tank to the distributor that I was struggling to link up to my reeflink. They are saying that the power supply is busted, hopefully the replacement power supply fixes the problems I was having.

Once I have the lights back its time to get some rock and put some salt into this thing. It has been a long time coming but hopefully all the effort will be worth it.
spicyburrito
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by spicyburrito »

Managed to put together the hood over the past week, just need to screw the gas struts in.
Cabinetry looks good matching in with our kitchen (tank sits on the left wall in the kitchen pic).

Image

Image

Image

Base pieces are still just resting causing the gaps around the bottom.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by Macca_75 »

looking nice and tidy so far. Keep up the attention to detail. :thumbsup:
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by sparker »

looks great!
spicyburrito
Curious Reefer
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by spicyburrito »

Tank has been setup for a little over 1 year now. just noticed that I had never posted any pictures after I had filled it up.

Currently fighting a little bit of an algae problem but slowly getting through that.
Giant morph rock is starting to take over a little too much, started with 1 head 2years ago in the old tank to now 30+ heads on this rock.
some are starting to leave the rock searching for a new place to grow as they've run out of room, I'll attach these onto a piece of rock and give away soon.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Combatants
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 213
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:07 am
Posts Per Page: Warrnambool, Vic

Re: New setup 5x2x2

Post by Combatants »

Great update, do you recall the timber/wood used in the cladding?
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks (101 - 799 Litres)”