My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
ozparagod
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:48 am
- Posts Per Page: Weston, NSW
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
my local LFS sells stomatella snails for about $1 each
-
lukusis
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
ozparagod wrote:my local LFS sells stomatella snails for about $1 each
Any chance youd want to post me some next time your in there? Bit of a drive from South Sydney lol
-
ozparagod
- Curious Reefer
- Posts: 24
- Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:48 am
- Posts Per Page: Weston, NSW
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
I travel to Sydney a fair bit for work, we might be able to sort something out 
-
lukusis
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
Ive got about 5 green BTA's if you want one :p
-
Mal
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 am
- Posts Per Page: Taren Point
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
Lol 5!..can I have one haha!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
lukusis
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 142
- Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
Mal wrote:Lol 5!..can I have one haha!
Sure, you can fight my clowns for one...

-
Mal
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 am
- Posts Per Page: Taren Point
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
haha, i've been attacked by clowns before so sure thing haha!
-
Mgreen84
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 50
- Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 am
- Posts Per Page: melbourne
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
TANK UPDATE:
Ok so i have made a few slight changes to the tank equipment, i could no longer put up with the noisy air pump provided with the standard tank setup. So i purchased a new 200 l/h EHIEM air blower/pump. And man that was the right thing to do, the EHIEM is so quit its amazing..
So with that issue sorted i turned to my standard pump, now the standard pump is quit adequate for low range flow at 1300 l/h. However i felt i needed just a little bit more for flow more for direction as i stated above, the standard direction nozzle was to noisy. So i just purchased (may live to regret it) a cheap HAILEA BT-400 internal filter pump with a flow rate of 50-110l. It doesn't seem like much but that added extra little bit of flow is perfect for my tank and the corals are thus far loving it.
Did he just say corals?
YES, yes i did i have slowly been stocking the tank with corals, and now i finally have some animation in the tank.
list of corals.
Green hammer
Pink challis
Pink colt coral
Green bubble tip anemone
Pink with white tip long tentacle plate coral
Light pink waving hand/glove coral
All the corals appear to be loving life at the moment, it seems odd but they all seem quit larger than when i first purchased them. The hammer is growing/stretching out daily. The Anemone took a few days to find his spot, but now he has found his little spot and been there for weeks. The Pink colt coral took a few days to adapt but now stretches out more and more daily. The newest additions are the glove and plate, plate seems fine and just doing his thing. The waving hand/glove is just so amazing to watch, he also seems to be loving life i have already noticed he seems to be detaching him self from the supplied rock he came on and looks like he is moving onto my live rock! which is awesome..
I also added a pair of wild and very young Ocellaris clown fish, which i stated in my other thread really struggled to settle in. They are now feeding fine and seem to be less stressed however they have adopted the power head as there home (which is annoying) and still love to just stay at the top of the tank.. I also purchased a biocolour dotty back, and she is SUPER entertaining. Because the clowns don't ever venture down amongst the reef i worried that the dotty back will become dominate of that area?
As far as fish stock thats where im at for the moment, i may choose to add one or two more smaller species but undecided yet. I did however order in a red line cleaner shrimp, which im super excited to add.
So my weekly maintenance now is a 25lt water change (which is super easy for me as i literally drive past my LFS for work) clean the first chamber of filters, and top up salinity as needed
Current tank conditions
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
pH8.1
Kh 7.3
Alk 2.62








Ok so i have made a few slight changes to the tank equipment, i could no longer put up with the noisy air pump provided with the standard tank setup. So i purchased a new 200 l/h EHIEM air blower/pump. And man that was the right thing to do, the EHIEM is so quit its amazing..
So with that issue sorted i turned to my standard pump, now the standard pump is quit adequate for low range flow at 1300 l/h. However i felt i needed just a little bit more for flow more for direction as i stated above, the standard direction nozzle was to noisy. So i just purchased (may live to regret it) a cheap HAILEA BT-400 internal filter pump with a flow rate of 50-110l. It doesn't seem like much but that added extra little bit of flow is perfect for my tank and the corals are thus far loving it.
Did he just say corals?
YES, yes i did i have slowly been stocking the tank with corals, and now i finally have some animation in the tank.
list of corals.
Green hammer
Pink challis
Pink colt coral
Green bubble tip anemone
Pink with white tip long tentacle plate coral
Light pink waving hand/glove coral
All the corals appear to be loving life at the moment, it seems odd but they all seem quit larger than when i first purchased them. The hammer is growing/stretching out daily. The Anemone took a few days to find his spot, but now he has found his little spot and been there for weeks. The Pink colt coral took a few days to adapt but now stretches out more and more daily. The newest additions are the glove and plate, plate seems fine and just doing his thing. The waving hand/glove is just so amazing to watch, he also seems to be loving life i have already noticed he seems to be detaching him self from the supplied rock he came on and looks like he is moving onto my live rock! which is awesome..
I also added a pair of wild and very young Ocellaris clown fish, which i stated in my other thread really struggled to settle in. They are now feeding fine and seem to be less stressed however they have adopted the power head as there home (which is annoying) and still love to just stay at the top of the tank.. I also purchased a biocolour dotty back, and she is SUPER entertaining. Because the clowns don't ever venture down amongst the reef i worried that the dotty back will become dominate of that area?
As far as fish stock thats where im at for the moment, i may choose to add one or two more smaller species but undecided yet. I did however order in a red line cleaner shrimp, which im super excited to add.
So my weekly maintenance now is a 25lt water change (which is super easy for me as i literally drive past my LFS for work) clean the first chamber of filters, and top up salinity as needed
Current tank conditions
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
pH8.1
Kh 7.3
Alk 2.62








My 96LT ocean free nano tank viewtopic.php?f=144&t=264740
-
Mal
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 331
- Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:35 am
- Posts Per Page: Taren Point
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
Nice work mate, it's looking great. Glad your clowns settled in. I bought a pair of small ones and they died on my right after acclimating them. Lol, the clowns from my previous tank made the in-tank heater his home so I can relate!..all in all. Good stuff mate!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Mgreen84
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 50
- Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:44 am
- Posts Per Page: melbourne
Re: My first NANO tank.. Ocean free 96lt nano tank
UPDATE:
I have started to find the dreaded Aiptasia in my tank, only visually spotted a few but that was enough for me to take action! I purchased a peppermint shrimp to try and tackle the issue early, so I will see how they go in a weeks times then re assess the situation.
In the past few weeks my bio coloured dottiback, has become a real pest. Harassing my clown fish and also attacking my new peppermint shrimp. So I decided she needed to go for the good of the tank. Now this is where the challenge begain! My wife and I spent a good hour or so trying to net the dotty back, however she was to quick and had to many hiding places around the rock.
So I reluctantly decided to start removing rock and coral which you would think would be easy in a nano, well that turned out to be another huge task. Another hour down, and we finally caught her.
I transfered her to a 1lt jug which I filled with tank water then floated in the tank to keep temp stable. I also arranged with my LFS to take her off my hands.
I then begIn the task of reassembling my base rock and replacing all my corals back. I was really concerned that I had put a lot of stress on my corals and tank, however the following morning I checked visually on my corals and checked all my parameters and thankfully everything is all good.
Here comes the sad part, so being a Trady I leave for work quit early and obviously couldn't get to the LFS untile I got home, so in the morning I checked on her, feed her,many all seemed good. Unfortunately by the time I got home she had sadly died and I feel terrible...
I'm guessing my mistake was not changing her water in the 1lt jug in the morning? Or she was over stressed due to the removing from the tank? Either way it sucks I didn't get a chance to get her to the LFS..
I will defiantly learn from this sad mistake, and fingers crossed the tanks mates will be a little stress free now with the "boss" gone.
I have started to find the dreaded Aiptasia in my tank, only visually spotted a few but that was enough for me to take action! I purchased a peppermint shrimp to try and tackle the issue early, so I will see how they go in a weeks times then re assess the situation.
In the past few weeks my bio coloured dottiback, has become a real pest. Harassing my clown fish and also attacking my new peppermint shrimp. So I decided she needed to go for the good of the tank. Now this is where the challenge begain! My wife and I spent a good hour or so trying to net the dotty back, however she was to quick and had to many hiding places around the rock.
So I reluctantly decided to start removing rock and coral which you would think would be easy in a nano, well that turned out to be another huge task. Another hour down, and we finally caught her.
I transfered her to a 1lt jug which I filled with tank water then floated in the tank to keep temp stable. I also arranged with my LFS to take her off my hands.
I then begIn the task of reassembling my base rock and replacing all my corals back. I was really concerned that I had put a lot of stress on my corals and tank, however the following morning I checked visually on my corals and checked all my parameters and thankfully everything is all good.
Here comes the sad part, so being a Trady I leave for work quit early and obviously couldn't get to the LFS untile I got home, so in the morning I checked on her, feed her,many all seemed good. Unfortunately by the time I got home she had sadly died and I feel terrible...
I'm guessing my mistake was not changing her water in the 1lt jug in the morning? Or she was over stressed due to the removing from the tank? Either way it sucks I didn't get a chance to get her to the LFS..
I will defiantly learn from this sad mistake, and fingers crossed the tanks mates will be a little stress free now with the "boss" gone.
My 96LT ocean free nano tank viewtopic.php?f=144&t=264740