Aquanano 40 "reef"
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals
-
555combo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 457
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
Looks good. What settings are you running your RW4 at? I recently changed over to the RW4 when the WP10 stopped working and am still working out what settings work best.
-
spunkybob
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Kariong, NSW, Australia
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
I have it on w1 on 4 dots (power setting) any more and it blows my sand around.
These are the corals growing on my rock.. No idea what they are. I brought a piece of live rock and it started popping out ZOA's and these things :-)

These are the corals growing on my rock.. No idea what they are. I brought a piece of live rock and it started popping out ZOA's and these things :-)

-
kodez
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 469
- Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:27 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
The things are palythoas.
-
LordGaz
- Centurion Reefer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:58 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
I have bought perplex to make the overflow mod. Can you show me what it looks like when installed? I love my Aquanano 40!
-
spunkybob
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Kariong, NSW, Australia
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
LordGaz wrote:I have bought perplex to make the overflow mod. Can you show me what it looks like when installed? I love my Aquanano 40!
This is what my one looks like. I had originally cut teeth but it didn't flow enough water so I just cut them out.
What I feel like doing is making another one that is coast to coast for max flow and aeration.
The only problem I have is I mounted it slightly high so the water borderline overflows the side of the tank where the powerhead faces so I'll need to remove it and superglue it back on.


-
spunkybob
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Kariong, NSW, Australia
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
Been a while so a quick update.
Decorator urchins are a pain and keep ripping the zoas off the rocks *sigh*
Citron Goby didn't make it
, he was eating fine but he still got thinner and thinner 
Custom overflow works well which makes it much easier to tell when the water needs to be topped up.
Everything else is really good and healthy.
Its strange but the Nitrates in my tank are always around 10-20 even with weekly water changes. Are tanks sometimes just like this?
I was told that nano skimmers are not really that good.. maybe I can run some carbon? What helps with nitrate removal? everything else is 0
Decorator urchins are a pain and keep ripping the zoas off the rocks *sigh*
Citron Goby didn't make it
, he was eating fine but he still got thinner and thinner 
Custom overflow works well which makes it much easier to tell when the water needs to be topped up.
Everything else is really good and healthy.
Its strange but the Nitrates in my tank are always around 10-20 even with weekly water changes. Are tanks sometimes just like this?
I was told that nano skimmers are not really that good.. maybe I can run some carbon? What helps with nitrate removal? everything else is 0
-
555combo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 457
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
Overflow looks good. As you mention, maybe a bit high, but it looks to be working well.
My nitrates were around there too. I have used a Tunze 9002 and now a Tunze 9001 and I reckon they work well, if cleaned often enough.
My nitrates normally sit under 10 on the Salifert (and I'm sure some is consumed by the algae) but small tanks seem to be harder to control.
What size water changes?
My nitrates were around there too. I have used a Tunze 9002 and now a Tunze 9001 and I reckon they work well, if cleaned often enough.
My nitrates normally sit under 10 on the Salifert (and I'm sure some is consumed by the algae) but small tanks seem to be harder to control.
What size water changes?
Cheers,
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
-
spunkybob
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Kariong, NSW, Australia
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
Generally I do maybe 5lt water (10%) every week, but sometimes (most weeks) I get busy and forget so I do maybe 6-7lt every second week.
-
spunkybob
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 1:06 am
- Posts Per Page: Kariong, NSW, Australia
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
It is a sad, very angry day today.
I got some new corals today (look awesome) but while i was putting them in the tank I accidentally knocked my AI Prime into the water... What a waste of $300
The Blue and White still work but the Red/Green(which I didnt use) Deep blue and Violet no longer work and the UV is stuck on maybe 5%
This is how it looks now with only the blue and white on (and a little UV)

And this is the new coral that has now cost me so much money

I got some new corals today (look awesome) but while i was putting them in the tank I accidentally knocked my AI Prime into the water... What a waste of $300
The Blue and White still work but the Red/Green(which I didnt use) Deep blue and Violet no longer work and the UV is stuck on maybe 5%
This is how it looks now with only the blue and white on (and a little UV)

And this is the new coral that has now cost me so much money


-
555combo
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 457
- Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.
Re: Aquaone nano 40 "reef"
Sorry to hear about your light, hopefully it dries out? Might be able to claim on household insurance?
It is a lovely coral though.
It is a lovely coral though.
Cheers,
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Aaron.
*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown