Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
Cokey
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by Cokey »

This is fantastic
aidanmary
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by aidanmary »

this is going to be awesome guys can't wait to see the progress, where is the tank going to be located? same spot as the 10ft? I'm sure you've already worked it out but have you considered the load on the slab? is it directly under a footing? that bad boy would be pushing close to 6ton full wouldn't it?
reefaddiction
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 828
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:47 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by reefaddiction »

Looking great so far guys! I can't wait to see this come together :D
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:50 am
Posts Per Page: Melton, Vic

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by Synodontis »

Choppa wrote:Wow this is going to be ........ HUGE!

Following along :thumbsup:


I'm sticking with big lol, HUGE scares me :)

vpreef wrote:Awesome build Ken, looking forward to seeing this progress :clap:


lol, "seeing it progress"?? you'll prob helping on the move day John

uglyman wrote:
Choppa wrote:Wow this is going to be ........ HUGE!

Following along :thumbsup:


I got to see the stand on the weekend and HUGE does not even come close to describing the size of this build :o .

I have to admit that Moo is getting to be a big girl and a bigger play area is probably a very good idea :roflmao: .

Awesome Ken & Jen :thumbsup:


Thanks Shane, kinda put's the size into perspective when you see the stand in person huh lol.

pebbles wrote:Hmmm....I think your sump is too small. :devil:

Just kidding :laugh: Amazing potential for a tank this size!!!


:wavey:


Thanks pebbles, I thought our last sump was big lol

parrdog wrote:Astronomical!!!!!

What a dream build. Good on you guys for making it come true :).

Jamie


Thanks Jamie, it is a daunting build but nothing worthwhile comes easy they say.

Ben S wrote:When you said huge, I didn't think it was that big!!!

Can't wait to see this. Let me know if you need a hand with anything. :)

Ben


Thanks for the offer Ben, might be needing a hand or two.

AMM9449 wrote:Amazing..!! Inspirational..!


Thanks Adam, at least your close enough to keep an eye on things lol.

blacjack wrote:That's an awesome size tank, I hope your floor can take the load. I'll be watching this too with a keen interest.


Hmm, I hope so too!

Cokey wrote:This is fantastic


Thanks Mark :)

aidanmary wrote:this is going to be awesome guys can't wait to see the progress, where is the tank going to be located? same spot as the 10ft? I'm sure you've already worked it out but have you considered the load on the slab? is it directly under a footing? that bad boy would be pushing close to 6ton full wouldn't it?


Thanks guys, this will be sitting where the 10ft is located now. In a strange way we are looking forward to pulling it down. Just to see what little treasure's are hidden behind all the rock. Your right, I've been working on 6 ton as a total weight.

Rock, that has been the mission for the last week.
With the new tank there will be minimal rock from the 10ft being used. There are big, & I mean BIG crabs hiding in there lol. Drive us nuts sometimes moving stuff around & knocking bits over. There are also many other critters living in there that we do not want in the new tank.
Looking around at all the options for rock, different brands & types we could not find any rock that would easily lend itself to the kind of scape we are looking for. We where put onto Aquaroche ceramic rock. After researching & looking at pieces with the very clever system of interlocking large plates, this is the way we will be going. With this rock we will be able to create the scape I am picturing in my mind. Lots of shelves, central to rear placement with lots of room for Moo to swim in between the lot. We have ordered 150 odd kilo's to start with :)

That's about it for tonight
:cheers:
darylb
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:59 am
Posts Per Page: perth western Australia

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by darylb »

Following. Have you got pics of moo?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MitchD
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am
Posts Per Page: WA

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by MitchD »

Insane build, going to be a cracker.
Moo's gotta be the most spoiled fish in the southern hemisphere. :roflmao:
Synodontis
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:50 am
Posts Per Page: Melton, Vic

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by Synodontis »

darylb wrote:Following. Have you got pics of moo?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hi Daryl,
We got Moo way back in about Juky / Aug 2011. An impulse buy gone wrong lol, no research from us & no questions asked from the LFS. It was just lucky we had a 10ft tank.
These would be some of the earliest pics of Moo. As you can see, the lens on my phone camera had not spent as much time in my pocket back then, I still have the same phone :roflmao:

This is Moo about 20 mins ago :tongue:
Give or take an inch, he is pushing 2ft long now, hence the new tank build. Many would have just moved him onto a new home or "lost" him in some accident but we took him on so up to us to make sure he lives happily ever after. If he keeps dropping mouthful's of sand over the corals tho.....

MitchD wrote:Insane build, going to be a cracker.
Moo's gotta be the most spoiled fish in the southern hemisphere. :roflmao:


Thanks Mitch lol, I been called crazy, never insane, same same lol.
He has a good life when food is involved, bugger only eats oysters & prawns enriched with garlic & other stuff lol. Now he just needs a bigger tank!
I did post a feeding video on FB, the wrong page, lmao, didn't get a good response from a few. It was FB, who really cares anyway?? I have left every FB group with anything to to do with aquariums :) best move I ever made.
Last edited by Synodontis on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt1961
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by Matt1961 »

Hi ken looking good,
Where abouts did you get the aquaroche rock from?

Matt
darylb
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:59 am
Posts Per Page: perth western Australia

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by darylb »

Man that's an awesome fish I can see why you kept him


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmy656
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:31 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Our 12ft - 4000Ltr Dream Build

Post by Jimmy656 »

Tagging in for progress :pirate:
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”