James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

Image
Lots of algae formed yesterday and today.. Any idea what the patches of white algae are?
And what the baby purplish worm is? Should I remove?
Edit: just noticed you can't really see the worm
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

Image
Better worm picture
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

Day 6: Water Chemistry: 20/11/2014
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 10
PH: 8.2
Been a bit of discrepancy in my tests.
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

Image
Do you think this is a feather duster worm? Or aptasia :/ Not sure if you can see it.. The green thing pops in and out of the rock and fans out.

Day 7: Water Chemistry 21/11/2014
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 5

Dunno What's with the levels seem even more whack than last night.
Linrey
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:58 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by Linrey »

That little thing that pops out is a feather duster worm. You'll probably start noticing heaps of them! They are quite interesting. Then, when corals are in, you'll never notice them again!

Don't worry too much about the water test levels at this point. It's only early days! Maybe start testing every few days to get a more noticeable change. Also maybe try test similar time of day. Have fun!
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

Hi.. Thanks for the response! They are pretty cool.

I will start testing every second day I guess.. :)
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

Last few days has seen alot of fury green algae and some little plant looking things have popped out from the sand and off the side of the glass.. Another algae I guess.

Also couple more snails have came to say hi.. They are Tiny and have purple shells. I couldn't find anything about them. Also had a look in there with a torch the other night and found a couple worms out roaming :/

Water Chemistry 26/11/2014
Ammonia: 0.25 or less
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: under 5 but not as yellow as 0
Ph: looks above 8.2 :/

Still unsure where the cycle is at. I have a chance to see the LFS on the weekend.. I wonder if I will be right to add some clean up crew? Thoughts?

I think I have been giving it to much light. Also have been adjusting the heater to get the temp down.. Seems to be a bit inaccurate Image
lukusis
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:30 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by lukusis »

Have you had a diatom bloom yet? All readings at zero? Add the CUC after this point :)
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

I have had the diatom bloom.. I think the test kit isn't going to give the ammonia at a compete yellow. Maybe im wrong will retest on Saturday and also take a sample to the LFS to test.
drewgon
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:32 am
Posts Per Page: Regional Victoria

Re: James's 34Litre Nano (Beginner)

Post by drewgon »

On another note. Today I noticed there is a ton of little white things swimming around. And on the glass
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”