Page 2 of 2

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:03 am
by Pittwater Blue
thanks Fishnoodle.

I am looking into RODI water... expense I wasn't expecting but worthwhile the investment i believe.

Although I saw those two glommys in the day I reckon there would be more at night so I'm going down at night with torch to see whats about. Let me know if you do set up a sydney system.

I keep finding new life in the tank, including a small hermit crab and a kelp coloured shrimp.

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:31 am
by millotoli
out of interest what are the blennies eating?

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 am
by Pittwater Blue
I haven't seen the two large ones eating yet. I have seen the small one eat green growth (only twice) off the rocks as well sand which he then spits out. Likely eating detritus. :dead: I am certain they are Eastern Jumping Blennys. Can't seem to find much online about them, I presume they are herbivores.

I have tried different foods in the tank with varying success, and found that those long silvery fish, which are either a hardyhead or baby mullet, love eating beta splenda food :pirate: , as well as the green growth. Actually everything smashes the green growth.

Is it possible to add more than 5 imgaes? I won't let me add more.

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:55 am
by gianniz
bit late but that's not a blenny. It's rock cale, they don't last long in tanks.
also you cannot take rocks from nsw.
and occy wise, you cannot take it from Sydney harbour and harbour rock platform.

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:05 am
by funebris
gianniz wrote:bit late but that's not a blenny. It's rock cale, they don't last long in tanks.
also you cannot take rocks from nsw.
and occy wise, you cannot take it from Sydney harbour and harbour rock platform.


True not a blenny...... they are jumping joeys, AKA Lepidoblennius haplodactylus.
So a type of threefin.

As to difficulty, just need to give them what they need.
They are one of the few marine fish I have bred and raised in number.
Quite amusing watching the girls lay eggs into the sand as it looks like they are...... well humping the sand.
I used air powered corner filters that were loaded up with coral rubble. Fed the tank very heavily, which resulted in large pod populations.
Very low tech tank.

I'd imagine the "octopus" is just a striped brittle star
XD

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 pm
by Jimmy656
Tagging in for the Journey :)