Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Pittwater Blue
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 pm
Posts Per Page: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Post by Pittwater Blue »

thanks Fishnoodle.

I am looking into RODI water... expense I wasn't expecting but worthwhile the investment i believe.

Although I saw those two glommys in the day I reckon there would be more at night so I'm going down at night with torch to see whats about. Let me know if you do set up a sydney system.

I keep finding new life in the tank, including a small hermit crab and a kelp coloured shrimp.
millotoli
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1617
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 am
Posts Per Page: Stirling/Adelaide

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Post by millotoli »

out of interest what are the blennies eating?
Pittwater Blue
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:11 pm
Posts Per Page: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Post by Pittwater Blue »

I haven't seen the two large ones eating yet. I have seen the small one eat green growth (only twice) off the rocks as well sand which he then spits out. Likely eating detritus. :dead: I am certain they are Eastern Jumping Blennys. Can't seem to find much online about them, I presume they are herbivores.

I have tried different foods in the tank with varying success, and found that those long silvery fish, which are either a hardyhead or baby mullet, love eating beta splenda food :pirate: , as well as the green growth. Actually everything smashes the green growth.

Is it possible to add more than 5 imgaes? I won't let me add more.
gianniz
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:53 pm
Posts Per Page: Blacktown

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Post by gianniz »

bit late but that's not a blenny. It's rock cale, they don't last long in tanks.
also you cannot take rocks from nsw.
and occy wise, you cannot take it from Sydney harbour and harbour rock platform.
funebris
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 am
Posts Per Page: South Brisbane

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Post by funebris »

gianniz wrote:bit late but that's not a blenny. It's rock cale, they don't last long in tanks.
also you cannot take rocks from nsw.
and occy wise, you cannot take it from Sydney harbour and harbour rock platform.


True not a blenny...... they are jumping joeys, AKA Lepidoblennius haplodactylus.
So a type of threefin.

As to difficulty, just need to give them what they need.
They are one of the few marine fish I have bred and raised in number.
Quite amusing watching the girls lay eggs into the sand as it looks like they are...... well humping the sand.
I used air powered corner filters that were loaded up with coral rubble. Fed the tank very heavily, which resulted in large pod populations.
Very low tech tank.

I'd imagine the "octopus" is just a striped brittle star
XD
Jimmy656
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:31 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Sydney Biotope - rock pool / temperate - 70 Litres

Post by Jimmy656 »

Tagging in for the Journey :)
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”