Aquaforest SPS Pico Work Tank (12 litres)

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

Was shocked to find that two tank walls have come apart.
Image

This appears not due to force of the water but suspect to acrylic warping as panels no longer can be aligned back together without excessive force. I believe the panels may have warped due to differing temps on either side of panels (outside air temp vs. tank water) which caused one side to contract and the other to expand causing the warp. :wall:

It may be similar to having an acrylic top cover on a tank that sags (ie. warps)
naqua
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Victoria
Contact:

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by naqua »

Damn, that sucks. I know acrylic is used in tank builds, but maybe a specific type that does not warp?

Did you have a nice few litres of water to clean up?
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

naqua wrote:Damn, that sucks. I know acrylic is used in tank builds, but maybe a specific type that does not warp?

Did you have a nice few liters of water to clean up?


Yes that was not a pleasant job especially as it was at work and leaked after business hours. Luckily the heater remained submerged in the partition and wavemaker seems to be working fine with no detectable damage or wear to the impellor or impellor housing.

After this mishap, I did wonder whether a specific type of acrylic is typically used for tank builds. Acrylic doesn't seem to be that common here in AU probably due to the cost of acrylic here. The reason i've been playing with acrylic tanks is that they are easy to work with (e.g., drilling holes, no messy silicone) and love the transparency. However, now I am going back to low-iron glass (Starfire) tanks.

Luckily I found a suitable replacement tank from Coburg Aquarium. Its a Yi-ding tank that measures the same length and width (250x250) as my previous tank, so its fits directly on top of my DIY desk stand, which is great. However, it is 250 high compared to my previous 200 high tank. This new tank is made out of low-iron glass (termed "crystal blue") that has polished edges and the joins looks very nice and clean.

Image
Image
Image

I was able to build the same partition at the back to hide the heater as previous build. However, i'm not too keen on drilling this tank and fitting a suitable bulkhead for draining tank water due to the size needed to fit glass tank bulkheads. So I will leave this out and do manual siphons for water changes. However, I wont be doing the typical siphon, I will use rigid tubing with a clamp and airline hose so that a siphon can be easily started with a syringe and left unattended until drained.

I noticed a nice feature of the back heater compartment, in that detritus often ends up here and can be easily siphoned out. It appears that the amount of water flow (900lph in a 12 liter tank, 75x) combined with the sugar sized doesn't allow detritus to settle in the sand bed, which could pose a long term problem in pico tanks as nicely discussed in a nano-reef post by "tibsy07" http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/347187-es-and-ts-pico-sand-bed-thread/.

Now back to progress, more exciting news to come on the DIY LED light :thumbsup:
naqua
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Victoria
Contact:

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by naqua »

My 2ft tank is a Yi Ding. Nice tanks!
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by sparker »

sorry to hear about the split :(

Replacement looks like it will do the job though :)
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

A big light update here.

Finished putting together my DIY Light.

The biggest problem I had choosing a suitable Light is finding one that I liked. Based on my months of research into what Corals require and viewing pleasure, I went with the following:


12 led Array (upto 41 watts), 7 Channels (although controller is a 6 channel configuration as seen below)

Ch 1 - 2 x Luxeon T Cool White 5700K (1200ma)
Ch 2 - 2 x Luxeon T Royal Blue 445-450nm (1200ma)
Ch 3- 1 x Luxeon Rebel ES Blue 470-475nm (1000ma)
Ch 3 - 1 x Luxeon Rebel ES Turquoise 505-510nm (1000ma)
Ch 4 - 1 x Luxeon Rebel Red 650-645nm (700ma)
Ch 5 - 1 x Luxeon Rebel Pc Amber ~590nm (700ma)
Ch 6 - 1 x Violet Semileds 400-410nm (1000ma)
Ch 6 - 2 x Violet Semileds 410-420nm (1000ma)
Ch 6 - 1 x Violet Semileds 420-430nm (1000ma)

Unit is passively cooled. Controller can be controlled by PC software, includes sunrise and sunset .1 increments (although this is currently in a Russian beta version) or Android App (English)

LED components and array were purchased from http://www.reefll.com. One thing I really liked about this array is that Led Bins are specified, uses a good board to transfer heat (SinkPADtm II), and Pc Amber to control Kelvin :clap:

PICS:
DIY Controller Box
Image

Light
Image

Light on tank
Image
Image

50% Cool White
Image

50% Royal Blue
Image

50% Violet
Image

50% Blue and Turquoise
Image

50% Pc Amber
Image

50% Red
Image

All Channels except PC Amber at 50% gives a 20k look
Image

All Channel including PC Amber at 50% gives closer to a 10k look (note. white balance was adjusted to give true picture)
Image
Jordan99
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 10:48 am
Posts Per Page: NSW

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by Jordan99 »

This is awesome!

I'm doing some research into making my own lighting system too that is programable!
How hard /cost effective compared to purchasing one?
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

Jordan99 wrote:This is awesome!

I'm doing some research into making my own lighting system too that is programable!
How hard /cost effective compared to purchasing one?


Wasn’t too difficult, I guess it depends on your DIY skills and what materials you have had experience working with. Cost is a little cheaper and another positive is that you can get more for your $, (e.g., 6 independent colour channels, dimming resolution of 1000 steps). However, it is probably not cheaper if you account for your time, and I did spend a lot of time planning my design- perhaps more time was spent designing than building it. Luckily for me I enjoy doing projects like this.

I went DIY over premade simply because I couldn’t find a unit that met what I was looking for in terms of LED array/efficiency and controllability. I spent quite some time researching coral light requirements and wanted a specific combination of LEDs that I think are highly suited to keeping corals. I also wanted passive cooling as this is a desk tank light and adding fans adds another thing that can go wrong (e.g., they can get affected by dust, can possibly rust and fail causing LEDS to overheat).
chrismelb
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by chrismelb »

PAR readings

I attempted to carry out the measurement of PAR as i've often seen on NR (particularly the ones i've seen from Jedimasterben as I have found these very useful). Readings were taken in air as water surface agitation can influence measurement by +/-25% (as mentioned by Jedimasterben on NR). PAR was measured using an Apogee quantum meter (QMSWWS) and calibrated for Sun. Each channel was set to 100% and measured separately. Where necessary, measurements were corrected in accordance with Apogee's response graph ([url/]http://www.apogeeinstruments.co.uk/comparisons-in-quantum-sensor-output-for-different-light-sources[/url)]. A total PAR reading for all channels was calculated by summing the readings of the 6 channels. LED array on built stand measured ~70mm above the tank, no optics, no diffuser, just a 3mm clear acrylic cover. Measurements were taken at the bottom center (200mm from the top thanks to an approx. 40-50mm sandbed), roughly midway up (100mm from the top), and all four sides and corners (readings are displayed only once for sides and corners and represent the average of all four measurements taken).

Cool White

Image

Violet

Image

Royal Blue

Image

Blue/Cyan

Image

PC Amber

Image

Red

Image

All Channels

Image

As expected the Violet channel emits a significant amount of PAR which is a spectrum highly suited to corals. Results suggest that this light is a bit of an overkill for such a small tank and therefore, channels will unlikely ever be run at 100%. You can see that for nano/pico tanks, optics are not warranted and positioning LEDS (w/o optics) closer to the water's surface allows for great intensity, spread with little light spill over. Looking forward to populating this tank with lots of corals now :thumbsup:
naqua
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:38 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne, Victoria
Contact:

Re: New Pico Work Tank - 12 litres

Post by naqua »

Almost 500 PAR at the sandbed is insane! Nice work on the readings though, interesting to see the differences by channel.
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”