Mandarin spawning and subsequent hatch (!!) log

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

TheJordans
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Mandarin spawning and subsequent hatch (!!) log

Post by TheJordans »

^ Yeah, it has been suggested to me but I haven't made it to any beaches/piers, and of course, then my next challenge would be trying to make sure that I (somehow) replicated the conditions that the pods were living in *worried look* Being Melbourne, I'm a little intimidated at the thought of culturing a temperate species. I was hoping to get my hands on some cultured ones so that I could follow what someone else had done before me *blush* And I would be using stabs in the dark to guess at what to feed them.

We're about 40mins from the nearest beach here, so sadly NOT culturing isn't an option...

But then again, we could look at buying a house down at the beach so that I could collect them daily....??

:roflmao:

Yep. I'll go and trim that money tree lol

On a serious note, you're right in suggesting it again, though - given that no one else seems to have any just "lying around", it's likely the only way that I'm going to get my hands on them and see any of these larvae through to settled juvies.
Curious_Chaos
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Mandarin spawning and subsequent hatch (!!) log

Post by Curious_Chaos »

I'm not sure what that is, but I'm more than happy to bring you (or meet half way) some microworms. They seem to stay alive for a while in the salt water- my clown loves them! I'm sure they would work for your fry- they're used to raise freshwater fry (I got them for bettas but haven't been able to breed them yet!).
There's something fishy going on....
TheJordans
Centurion Reefer
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:51 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Mandarin spawning and subsequent hatch (!!) log

Post by TheJordans »

Thanks, CC :) You're a sweetie!
I'm pretty confident that microworms would be too big for mandarin fry - they measure like 2mm so you can imagine how small their mouths are ;) But definitely, once I've sourced some pods for them and hatch the bubs again, I would be open to giving it a go!
Cheers!!
Curious_Chaos
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:20 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Mandarin spawning and subsequent hatch (!!) log

Post by Curious_Chaos »

Hmm ok, well, these are super tiny little worms. They're almost invisible to the naked eye unless you put them in water and watch for tiny wiggly things :P

I also noticed we sell the frozen rotifers at work (Pet works Sunshine)?

You're welcome to collect some worms and see what you think- they are just grown in a water based porridge and fed yeast so you can keep them indefinitely by changing the porridge once a month.

My bengai cardinal laughs at me and says his mouth is WAY to big for *that* pathetic meal but I reckon my sun coral is going to enjoy them. :/
There's something fishy going on....
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”