challenge 2010- and the winner is Meicanthus sp
Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship
-
kenny damaschke
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 99
- Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 am
- Posts Per Page: Cairns QLD
-
Darr1n
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2088
- Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 am
- Posts Per Page: Adelaide, South Australia
- Contact:
-
silverseahorse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 561
- Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:47 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney, Australia
Why seahorses? Being a seahorse nut, yeah they are great, but why not a species that not much/little is known about? Or something that is not commonly bred here in Aus? Like the Marine Beta or something like that?
I've done 6 species of seahorses so I guess I'm kinda bored with that as a suggestion
And Lukey - they are not the hardest. Kuda are difficult, but subelongatus are the hardest. Now getting those to adulthood IS a challenge! lol! But it can be done and I have done it.
Right now I've got bangaii and a pair of black footed clowns I am trying to spawn - I'd be up for another species though
I've turned down the temps on my seahorse tanks to actively discourage breeding for the moment. I'd like to work more on the bangaii and the black foots right now. Or a third suggestion if another species is chosen :D
I've done 6 species of seahorses so I guess I'm kinda bored with that as a suggestion
And Lukey - they are not the hardest. Kuda are difficult, but subelongatus are the hardest. Now getting those to adulthood IS a challenge! lol! But it can be done and I have done it.Right now I've got bangaii and a pair of black footed clowns I am trying to spawn - I'd be up for another species though
*********************************************************************
New Aussie Seahorse Forum!!! http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=79
*********************************************************************
New Aussie Seahorse Forum!!! http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=79
*********************************************************************
-
Lukey
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 3568
- Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:21 am
- Posts Per Page: Newcastle, NSW
I guess the thing is with horses is it may be difficult/unfair because you have to have a designated tank for them. You can't have them in your typical reef tank because they simply tend not to survive.
This would mean anyone interested would have to have a seperate tank setup basically. Mind you, i'd still like to do it haha. And yeah you've bred seahorses silverseahorse, but not everyone has. Same as clowns with other people, but they're still a great option. At the very least because they spawn so often...
This would mean anyone interested would have to have a seperate tank setup basically. Mind you, i'd still like to do it haha. And yeah you've bred seahorses silverseahorse, but not everyone has. Same as clowns with other people, but they're still a great option. At the very least because they spawn so often...
-
kenny damaschke
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 99
- Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 am
- Posts Per Page: Cairns QLD
silverseahorse wrote:Why seahorses? Being a seahorse nut, yeah they are great, but why not a species that not much/little is known about? Or something that is not commonly bred here in Aus? Like the Marine Beta or something like that
it would be good t introduce more captive bred individuals to aussie lfsmaybe a broader subject rather than species go with family?
Kenny Damaschke
-
silverseahorse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 561
- Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:47 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney, Australia
Not trying to imply I'm wonderful because I have bred them, but there is a lot of information out there about captive breeding seahorses now days. Just thinking of a species that doesn't have much info about it.
And yes you could move away from horses and go to pipefish or something like that. I'd like to do dragons if I had the cash. Had a friend successfully breeding weedy seadragons in captivity. Actual CB not WC with eggs and captive reared. Now that was a system to behold! If only we all had unlimited budgets... *sigh*
And yes you could move away from horses and go to pipefish or something like that. I'd like to do dragons if I had the cash. Had a friend successfully breeding weedy seadragons in captivity. Actual CB not WC with eggs and captive reared. Now that was a system to behold! If only we all had unlimited budgets... *sigh*
*********************************************************************
New Aussie Seahorse Forum!!! http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=79
*********************************************************************
New Aussie Seahorse Forum!!! http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=79
*********************************************************************
-
Chantelle
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 588
- Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:08 am
- Posts Per Page: Central Coast, NSW
[quote="silverseahorse"]Not trying to imply I'm wonderful because I have bred them [quote]
I think you are! I have a new appreciation for how hard it is to keep the fry alive after my 3rd attempt at H.Reidi so far. No luck so far but Ill keep trying.
Breeding dragons would be amazing! Just need to win lotto...
I think you are! I have a new appreciation for how hard it is to keep the fry alive after my 3rd attempt at H.Reidi so far. No luck so far but Ill keep trying.
Breeding dragons would be amazing! Just need to win lotto...

~Chantelle
-
silverseahorse
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 561
- Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:47 pm
- Posts Per Page: Sydney, Australia
Not at all. I've never bred clowns before and am impressed with anyone who has. I'm feeding up my black-foots and hope to have them spawn soon. So I am going to be reading lots of accounts of clownfish breeding soon. It will be new to me so fingers crossed I can keep the fry alive and get them to adulthood. I've been reading about nutritional defects so hopefully I'll be able to avoid that pitfall!
Yeah we all need to win lotto. Stupid lack of money...
Yeah we all need to win lotto. Stupid lack of money...

*********************************************************************
New Aussie Seahorse Forum!!! http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=79
*********************************************************************
New Aussie Seahorse Forum!!! http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=79
*********************************************************************