G1v1n's Skimmerless Liverockless Reef [Winner TOTM Jan08]

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

You mean like my 4ft planted tropical in my lounge? or the 4ft in my study with 59 juvenile occelaris? or the QT with sick tetras? or maybe the 2000L koi pond under the patio?
Luckily I got rid of the 6ft Malawi cichlid tank :nut:

You're right though Glen I do find myself watching it while making brekky then sitting on the lounge on the other side to watch it again. I can even see it thru the window when I'm in the swimming pool :roflmao:
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

A couple of things I forgot to mention.
fish stock;
Bicolour angel(came from a friend after it became unruly in his tank)
Clarkii clown(wild caught from Vanuatu-nice yellow fins)
Occelaris clown(was the male in a breeding pair but the female got chased out by the clarkii)
6 line wrasse(does a little dance when he sees you looking at him)
Royal dottyback(wifes favourite)
Scopas tang(bought to control a macroalgae outbreak)
Bangaii cardinal(1 of a tank raised pair I got off aquaholic-the other died mysteriously-I think it got too close to the elegance)
4 chromis(one is the dominant male and keeps the rest in line-often guarding his nest of eggs on the substrate)

I also recently lost a yellow longnose butterfly I couldn't fatten up after several months and a margined coralfish that got attacked by the bicolour(that could have been the cause or maybe he was weakened by something else-I had him for ages and was very healthy)

I'm under pressure(read wife wants) to give up the Clarki so I can reintroduce another pair of occelaris(currently in the sump).
If I do that I would like to try a large angel such as an emporer,majestic or regal to fill the clarki's "shoes".
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Post by Guv »

It really is a great looking system - and I love that you have it running successfully in an unconventional manner!

Clarki looks awesome too - would be a shame to lose it.
:cheers:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Guv, next time you're up this way don't hesitate to come by for a look. I was in Bunno tuesday but forgot to get your ph no.

Here is a pic of the guts of my system, fairly basic just timers,diy topoff and diy 2 part dosers. I add Mg supplement manually about every 20 days.
Image

My next job is to get 5 200L drums so I can have NSW delivered. I have been collecting manually at the beach but the weather,water conditions and heavy lifting involved have finally got the better of me. I considered rigging up a drum in the boat to fill at sea but at around $14 per drum delivered it's just not worth doing it myself.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

I just recieved my new PO4 test kit and I found the results surprising :o
I assumed I would have maybe 0.25ppm considering I have no chemical filtration but I was shocked to find I have less than 0.03ppm(1st increment on the kit).
I had noticed a slowing of growth in the last few months but, ruling PO4 out means it was most likely caused by salt buildup on the MH cover glass reducing the light to the corals. In fact, when I cleaned them one of the acros suffered damage from the sudden increase.
Also, this summer I have been keeping the blinds on the east windows closed but one day I opened them early in the morning and the light beamed straight to the tank and burned the sides of 2 colonies(not too badly) So lets say I have a new respect for the power of photoacclimation(did I just make up a word?)
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

I hadn't noticed the colour change in my chromis when he spawned before.I did my best with the pics but it still doesn't show him off to the full.
Image
But here's a vid of them going at it :roflmao:
Image
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Well, the chromis wasn't happy with his previous nest and chose a new one that he is guarding fervently. As I have cultures at the ready, If I manage to catch them hatching I will try to raise them in the same manner as clowns. Apparently they should hatch in around 7 days so I'll have to be on my toes next weekend :thumbsup:

Image
(that's the eggs on top of the algae)
Guv
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2868
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts Per Page: Bunbury WA
Contact:

Post by Guv »

Awesome! Pity they aren't worth a fortune eh? :roflmao:
The time for action is past! Now is the time for senseless bickering.

Our Saltwater Money Sink
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

you mean they're not?
There goes my plan of building a corporate empire based on aquacultured chromis :wall: :roflmao:

No It'd be just for interest sake and I could do with a few more. :thumbsup:

I'll try to get an updated pic of the occelaris juvies up too.
G1v1n
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:54 am
Posts Per Page: Mandurah,W.A.

Post by G1v1n »

Image
and here is a better pic of the clarki
Image
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”