Pest Identification

Dedicated forum for discussions on all things to do with corals and invertebrates (identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy etc). If it doesn't have a backbone, discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Cnidarians (True Corals)

Post Reply
Sheridan
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:37 am
Posts Per Page: Yamba NSW

Pest Identification

Post by Sheridan »

Howdy!
I've returned to the hobby after a a decade or so and just started cycling my 50L nano tank yesterday. I got a few hitchhikers on the live rock (including a mantis shrimp that was way too quick for me to nab!) and would like to confirm this is an aiptaisa? I also found what I think to be a stone crab this morning, would you mind taking a quick look and let me know?

Thanks :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15at9H ... WC-4AAh5hG

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cPOy- ... fTK-t-vded
Mudstar
Hi, I am new around here!
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 pm
Posts Per Page: Brassall

Re: Pest Identification

Post by Mudstar »

Hi,

I too have just returned hobby after 10+ years and am cycling my 50L Nano. live rock goes in tomorrow :)
hopefully without the aiptaisa you have pictured there. I use a builder lime paste in a syringe to knock them over early before they spread.

good luck.
Mat
slawman
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1179
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Pest Identification

Post by slawman »

That is aiptasia. Kalk it.
The winner is the one who has had the most fun at the end

Solar Reef: viewtopic.php?f=148&t=248587
My Cube : viewtopic.php?f=51&t=216858
A long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=177925
Sin
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 1:24 am
Posts Per Page: Ashtonfield NSW

Re: Pest Identification

Post by Sin »

slawman wrote:That is aiptasia. Kalk it.


:withyou:

I've had the most success with Kalk, some have taken the rock out and super glued them, injected them with boiling water/vinegar or used aqua kneed it.
Post Reply

Return to “Algaes, Corals and Invertebrates: ID's, Diseases, Pests, Parasites & Treatments Forum”