Col's 7x2.5

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Large Tanks with a Volume of 800 Litres and Above

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Most of the issues are above.
In brief;
- bulk calc or alk I got was tainted. Didn’t trust it was no good so dosed it a few months later with same result.
- sand bed was harboring a bad bacteria or something causing stn
- refractometer played up and laziness resulted in running super high salinity
- chiller failed in middle of summer (10 days to repair)
- aiptasia outbreak haha!. Cured with peppermint shrimp.
- huge bubble algae issue at present. No other algae present and nutrients very low.

It would be great to have more traffic on RTAW. No point searching for anything on FB.
If the image posting could be simplified I think it would be a big step in the right direction.

Col
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

Image
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:46 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney, Elanora Heights
Contact:

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by PranK »

Tank looks great!

I was just reading above. What Bunnings sups are you using? I'm using sups from Pete @ 100% Reef Safe. I couldnt see it on the other page.

Also, whats in your sump?

I'm still at work. Pumped to get home and take some pics to post.
My 6' Journal

My 5x28x24 in-wall experience


My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

From bunnings I get the 4kg bag of hyclor calcium chloride and the 2.5kg of hyclor soda ash (ph increaser) both in the pool section. Also get mag salt 15kg and Epsom salts to mix up for my magnesium.

I’m sure 100%’s soups are food grade but I haven’t seen quality issues with the pool stuff.

In my sump I have around nd 10L of small siporax noodles and a little carbon reactor.
PranK
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1435
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:46 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney, Elanora Heights
Contact:

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by PranK »

Do you mix them the same way as the typical 2 part? Ie, the Randy's recipe?
My 6' Journal

My 5x28x24 in-wall experience


My tank uses 4.3 tonnes of carbon every year (1275 KW/h per 115 days). I have offset its carbon emissions, you should consider doing the same. (This was my 4 footer too!)
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

I think it is pretty close to Randy’s?
There are a heap of different variatuons but what I do is:
530g of calc in 4l of RO
400g soda ash in 4l of RO

I only have 5l dosing containers so I will be mixing more concentrated and dosing less to extend time between re mixing in the near future.

Mag is mixed a bit different only because I dose it continuously rather than intermittently.
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by Autonomy »

PranK wrote:Looks fantastic, thanks for the update.

I'm super keen to get people back on Masa. The more posts, the better!



:withyou: 100%!
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
Autonomy
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:55 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by Autonomy »

colg wrote:
I decided on using adjust afoot feet on each leg. Got some 60mm ones with m16 thread. Tapped some plate, cut to fit inside the RHS and welded in.
Image

Col


:-x it, definitely a great idea. :clap:
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" Jacques Cousteau
sparker
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by sparker »

hope you are on top of that long list of bad luck Col and the tank is bouncing back well?
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Col's 7x2.5

Post by colg »

sparker wrote:hope you are on top of that long list of bad luck Col and the tank is bouncing back well?

I hope so too Sam :wall:

The latest was salinity issues which caused an on flow effect to alk levels. I seem to be on top of that and colours are starting to pop again (not that it can be seen in the above pics)
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Large (800 Litres and Above)”