Vermetid Snails

Dedicated forum for discussions on all things to do with corals and invertebrates (identification, husbandry, ecology, biology, diseases, taxonomy etc). If it doesn't have a backbone, discuss it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Cnidarians (True Corals)

Post Reply
Ulven
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Vermetid Snails

Post by Ulven »

Hi guys,

For as long as I can remember I have had vermetid snails growing on my maxima clam. Visually they don't bother me when they have their slime nets out but recently one has started to get quite large near the clams mantle and was actually causing the clam to retreat into its shell to avoid contact with it. I broke it back a bit with a pair of pliers and the clams mantle is now full extended again so it seems happy. My question is should I remove them from the clam totally. Would they ever have a potential to get so large or so invasive on the clam that they kill it?

Thanks in advance!
555combo
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:43 am
Posts Per Page: Manly, QLD.

Re: Vermetid Snails

Post by 555combo »

Speculatively I would suggest that the large one on the back side of my clam killed it by continual irritation.
I now snap them off when I see them and if they get too big fill them up with putty/glue.

Just my experience, but I won't risk it when I get a new clam.
Cheers,
Aaron.

*******************************************
4x2x1.5 Mixed Reef
AquaNano 40 Tank Journal - Now Shutdown
Iain3
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm
Posts Per Page: Sydney

Re: Vermetid Snails

Post by Iain3 »

I'd get rid of them as they are ugly and quickly get out of control.
Ulven
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:05 am
Posts Per Page: Melbourne

Re: Vermetid Snails

Post by Ulven »

Thanks for your responses guys!
Post Reply

Return to “Algaes, Corals and Invertebrates: ID's, Diseases, Pests, Parasites & Treatments Forum”