All,
I've started adding across to my tank and they are doing ok. Great polyp extension and growth
My question is when I snap a branch from the coral it manages to recover this area very quickly and a new shoot (for lack of a better word) forms. I thought the inside of the coral was just a skeleton, however, this would appear to be incorrect. I'd like to read more on this topic. Any ideas where to start?
Understanding SPS Growth - Snapped branch
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Cnidarians (True Corals)
-
shrimpman
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 78
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Understanding SPS Growth - Snapped branch
Last edited by shrimpman on Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
colg
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Mackay
Re: Understand SPS Grown - Snapped branch
You were correct that the inside is only a skeleton. The tissue covers over damaged sections and deposits new calcium carbonate skeleton underneath.
Read this link for a shortened description:
http://web.augsburg.edu/~capman/aquaria ... ndKin.html
Read this link for a shortened description:
http://web.augsburg.edu/~capman/aquaria ... ndKin.html
-
shrimpman
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 78
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Understand SPS Grown - Snapped branch
The recovery growth is amazingly fast and much quicker than the coral would normally encrust over epoxy or glue
-
shrimpman
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 78
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Understand SPS Grown - Snapped branch
Actually, The more I look at the coral I cannot accept that it's only a skeleton. The coral is clearly very much alive on the inside. It reminds me of a tooth
Its possible to see that the polyp is actually deeply embedded in the structure. I'm at the 24-hour mark and I can clearly make out where the surrounding polyps are. This explains why alage does not does grow on the skeleton and how the coral has a chance to recover.
I
Its possible to see that the polyp is actually deeply embedded in the structure. I'm at the 24-hour mark and I can clearly make out where the surrounding polyps are. This explains why alage does not does grow on the skeleton and how the coral has a chance to recover.
I
-
colg
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
- Posts Per Page: Mackay
Re: Understand SPS Grown - Snapped branch
Not sure on that..
The tissue connecting the polyps might ‘key’ into the skeleton but the skeleton is inert.
Possible explanation for the lack of algae attack on freshly bared skeleton could be due to mucus secretion from nearby tissue.
Hopefully some one with a biology background will chime in.
An ecam ple that indicated the skeleton is not connected to the living tissue is polyp bailout seen in Catalaphyllia and euphyllia variaties.
The tissue connecting the polyps might ‘key’ into the skeleton but the skeleton is inert.
Possible explanation for the lack of algae attack on freshly bared skeleton could be due to mucus secretion from nearby tissue.
Hopefully some one with a biology background will chime in.
An ecam ple that indicated the skeleton is not connected to the living tissue is polyp bailout seen in Catalaphyllia and euphyllia variaties.
-
shrimpman
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 78
- Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
- Posts Per Page: Sydney
Re: Understand SPS Grown - Snapped branch
I agree that the skeleton is completely dead.
Life extends deep into the skeleton. I can see the polyps appear to be deeply embedded into the skeleton and I wonder if they are able to pass slime through to the exposed area of the skeleton.
Life extends deep into the skeleton. I can see the polyps appear to be deeply embedded into the skeleton and I wonder if they are able to pass slime through to the exposed area of the skeleton.