If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap water
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: New to the Hobby
-
pseudechisbutleri
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth
If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap water
Title pretty much says it all, I know brackish tanks do not require RO and I know that saltwater will almost never work without RO, but if I used tap water for a brackish tank and I increase the SG of a brackish tank to the SG of a typical SW tank, will I have any problems?
-
oceanarium
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2533
- Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:52 pm
- Posts Per Page: the coral farm.. Near ledge WA
- Contact:
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
Brackish water is the area the salt water meets the fresh water in a river system. Not full sea water salinity.
Tap water vs RO is about impurities things that can cause problems for certain animals like copper, chlorine, flouride etc.
Pete
Tap water vs RO is about impurities things that can cause problems for certain animals like copper, chlorine, flouride etc.
Pete
-
pseudechisbutleri
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
So does that mean that tap water on brackish fishes would be fine but tap on SW fishes won't be?
Last edited by pseudechisbutleri on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
fish are not as sensitive to metals and salts as corals are.
brackish water creatures are some of the hardiest organisms, not because of the extremes they can tolerate but the variability in water parameters and quality.
you're main one really for reef aqauriums is phosphate, to achieve good coral growth and colouration you need very low levels of phosphorous in your tank, adding more through top ups or ASW exchanges just makes the problem greater.
brackish water creatures are some of the hardiest organisms, not because of the extremes they can tolerate but the variability in water parameters and quality.
you're main one really for reef aqauriums is phosphate, to achieve good coral growth and colouration you need very low levels of phosphorous in your tank, adding more through top ups or ASW exchanges just makes the problem greater.
MASA President
-
pseudechisbutleri
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
So tap water would be usable if I somehow removed phosphorous?
edit: apparently I can't do that without an RO filter
edit: apparently I can't do that without an RO filter
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
no, it can be done with demineralising resin alone, or it can be done with aluminium/lanthanum precipitation, or GFO / GAO filters, but RO is probably the simplest, most convenient and cheapest in the long run.
MASA President
-
pseudechisbutleri
- RTAW Reefer
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm
- Posts Per Page: Perth
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
I'll have to get an RO filter eventually, and I think it would be the best, cheapest and most practical way to go, more practical than the other methods you mentioned (no offence
). In the mean time, store-bought saltwater it is.
-
Onsan
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 4009
- Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:25 pm
- Posts Per Page: Townsville
Re: If I can use tap water for brackish, what’s about tap wa
no offence taken, I recommended RO, the other methods are far too complicated for domestic use.
MASA President