Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Post Reply
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by Macca_75 »

I have 8 in the tank and there are a non stop supply of eggs. Every 2 or 3 days new eggs are laid in 1 of 2 positions.

This has been going on for months now (started on 30th April and has been non stop since).

I am concerned that this *excessive* egg production won't be great for the long term lifespan of the fish. Is this a valid concern or not really?

Sample of some of the batches.

Image

Image

[youtube]kYUbUN4PwXw[/youtube]

(Ignore the state of the glass)

[youtube]sokH3cILu64[/youtube]
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by colg »

I have the exact same thing occurring in my tank by the same pair (i thought they were damsels, but they look identical to yours).
They have a 4 inch long Acrylic rod sticking out of a rock that they lay eggs on the top 2" then 3 days later they lay on the bottom 2" and eat the other eggs. Image below shows the two different lots of eggs. This cycle has continued without interruption 2 weeks after the tank was started 16 months ago. you can see the rod and culprits in my tj.
Fish are healthy and fat and no health issues shown so far.

Image
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Re: Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by Macca_75 »

Maybe I can just let it be then. Good coral food if nothing else.

Oh - and your ID is right I think. I never looked them up.

https://saltwater.aqua-fish.net/?yellow-damsel
colg
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 am
Posts Per Page: Mackay

Re: Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by colg »

Macca_75 wrote:Maybe I can just let it be then. Good coral food if nothing else


That's my train of thought.

Do yours chew on any SPS? I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of mine but put it in the too hard basket. The male occasionally picks a branch out and cleans the underside of all polyps and flattens out the skeleton, making a nice spot for eggs but they always use the acrylic rod. Corals seem to rejuvenate until he goes at them again. Not too bad of an issue but interested to hear if you see the same behavior.
CanIHazReef
Curious Reefer
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:34 am
Posts Per Page: Murrumbeena - Melbourne

Re: Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by CanIHazReef »

Would you ever consider raising the eggs in a separate tank?
CaptCrash
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 am
Posts Per Page: Perth

Re: Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by CaptCrash »

Chromis and Damsels have very small larvae that can be captured with a fry collector, raising them is fairly difficult and this is not a species to start with (the fry are extremely small).

Unless you are extremely practiced in raising fish larvae I would just let them go in the tank. Its going to keep the other fish, shrimp and corals well fed.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Re: Does anyone else have Chromis spawning non stop?

Post by Macca_75 »

CaptCrash wrote:I would just let them go in the tank. Its going to keep the other fish, shrimp and corals well fed.


That's what's happening on a continuous basis.

I haven't even tried the clownfish eggs yet - I may try the Bangaii if they ever pair and spawn.
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”