Water Change Suggestions & GHA Fight

A place to discuss water chemistry and in depth and cutting edge discussions of advanced methodologies and concepts of reef keeping.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion

Boggers89
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 am
Posts Per Page: Aveley, Perth

Re: Water Change Suggestions & GHA Fight

Post by Boggers89 »

Thought I will keep updating this, Phosphate seems steady at 0.09 currently so as I believe I am nitrate limited for the biopellets really to have any affect I am going to be doing abit of lanth dosing and testing to see how I go at trying to starve off the GHA whilst also manually removing and keeping with the 2 weekly water changes.

Currently just using pool phosphate remover at a 20:1 ratio with RODI water and doing 0.5ml a day and will dose probably every second day with a test before re dosing etc.

Picture below shows the area I will use as a guide to see if its working or not, this seem's to be the healthy GHA area as the rest of the area's the GHA clumps together and isnt as light a green and is much easier to grab a chunk so this will help me keep an eye on it.

Image
Boggers89
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:55 am
Posts Per Page: Aveley, Perth

Re: Water Change Suggestions & GHA Fight

Post by Boggers89 »

Thought it was time for an update, Been continuing with the manual removal of as much GHA as I can. So with manual remove of GHA, Turkey Basting Rocks, Phosphate reducing, Foxface addition and big water changes I have got ontop of all of this and have seen big reductions in Algae as per pics below. It has taking me a few months but I believe I am now ontop of it all and into the home stretch of the GHA........Makes me appreciate being more diligent in the future about my husbandry if I can beat this totally and keep it away. Due to basically running an ULNS I have seen some of my SPS fade colour wise so I have reduced the phosphate removal.

Image
Image
Image
Image
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Water Change Suggestions & GHA Fight

Post by jayellul »

good job!

IMO rather than reduce your phosphate removal ramp up your feeding to darken up SPS.
Downu
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:30 am
Posts Per Page: Bentleigh East Melbourne

Re: Water Change Suggestions & GHA Fight

Post by Downu »

You wont have enough flow through that wall of rock. Way too many dead spots in there. open it up or try more flow.
No dear that fish has been in there for ages.
I blame the power consumption on the teenager.
Time flies when you hit the snooze button.
AUSSIENANO
Starting to get the hang of this place
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:15 am
Posts Per Page: Australia

Re: Water Change Suggestions & GHA Fight

Post by AUSSIENANO »

20% weekly won't cut it for pristine water quality UNLESS you have some serious technology to work with. I use natural seawater that LFS supplies for $140.00 for 1,000 litres. I do 20-30% every day. Dirt cheap. 20% a day should see huge improvements. Cheers.
Post Reply

Return to “Chemistry & Advanced Concepts Discussion”