Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

A place to discuss water chemistry and in depth and cutting edge discussions of advanced methodologies and concepts of reef keeping.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion

jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by jayellul »

aidanmary wrote:yeah I'm starting to think that would be the easiest solution. atleast I can adjust it all in one go rather than having to slow the add it over time to continually try and bump it up after water changes.

Mate you will attain stability much much easier and reliably. Just pick a good salt mix!
aidanmary
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by aidanmary »

what's a good salt mix? I've used blue treasure which is very inconsistent with its parameters and redsea coral pro which I had percipitation issues with as half the time even though I followed the instructions it would mix cloudy. I'm open to opinions on what would be a better alternative but in saying that i dont think it would be good to keep changing salt brands so often.
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by jayellul »

Red sea blue bucket is the best

Blue treasures would probably be one if the worst
aidanmary
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:27 am
Posts Per Page: Victoria

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by aidanmary »

I might stick with the blue bucket and try mixing it to 1.026 go get the alk cal and mag slightly higher off the bat.
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by jayellul »

aidanmary wrote:I might stick with the blue bucket and try mixing it to 1.026 go get the alk cal and mag slightly higher off the bat.

I agree. Plenty of people have great success with this salt without fiddling around with it. I believe that's where people go wrong trying to fiddle too much chasing numbers.
pyroay
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 pm
Posts Per Page: Traralgon

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by pyroay »

aidanmary wrote:what's a good salt mix? I've used blue treasure which is very inconsistent with its parameters and redsea coral pro which I had percipitation issues with as half the time even though I followed the instructions it would mix cloudy. I'm open to opinions on what would be a better alternative but in saying that i dont think it would be good to keep changing salt brands so often.


I've moved from Red Sea (Mostly the Blue but also used Coral pro) to Ultimate Aquacare Marine Salt. Very easy to mix, very consistent and if anything i find its Magnesium levels high.
I have a 5,000 litre system and am dosing 8ml of Mag a day and its still around 1500ppm.
Alk is around 9.8 though

In a box as a 3 pack its even cheaper than the red sea salt too inc postage
http://ultimateaquacare.com.au/marine-r ... 0kg-boxes/


Rod the Reefer wrote:I dose Mg via my dosing pump too.
I've found that you need to have your Mg up to get your Ca and Alk up consistently.
Rod. :thumbsup:


Agreed. My Mag is high and my Alk and Cal are always really stable.
10x4 Mixed Reef
10x4 Predator Tank - Back up and running.

Sustainable reefing with 100% of power consumption offset by Solar
slavetonet
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: Maintaining elevated magnesium levels

Post by slavetonet »

Blue treasure sps salt have very high magnesium level at 1450ppm every time I mix it at 1.026G.
It is always fairly consistence for me in this 2 years old tank.
What can I say - the salt is decent enough for my sps tank. :konk:
Post Reply

Return to “Chemistry & Advanced Concepts Discussion”