Nutrient levels too low?
Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Advanced Discussion
-
chromus
- I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
- Posts: 19409
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
- Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
- Contact:
Re: Nutrient levels too low?
Nickel isn't the sort of chemical the average reefer would want to be handling, once it's in your body it doesn't come out. So dosing it safely is going to be difficult
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
-
acronut
- RTAW Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 1036
- Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:49 am
- Posts Per Page: Melbourne,Australia
Re: Nutrient levels too low?
chromus wrote:Nickel isn't the sort of chemical the average reefer would want to be handling, once it's in your body it doesn't come out. So dosing it safely is going to be difficult
And pretty well impossible to find anyway...
So sorry officer.... i wasnt aware tangs needed so much space :/
5.5x2.5x2 scorpion reef
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261093
5.5x2.5x2 scorpion reef
viewtopic.php?f=148&t=261093
-
Grungefreek
- Veteran Reefer
- Posts: 989
- Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 1:06 pm
- Posts Per Page: Gunnedah, NSW
Re: Nutrient levels too low?
I better stop dosing Banana's to my tank
At the time of those tests I was using ASW, so I had assumed they bumped up Potassium for some reason. I am using NSW now so I assume my potassium levels have probably come down.
Even though some of my metals may be a little bit out, I am probably pretty sure there are numerous people out there with good tanks that have similar results, its just they don't test for them to know they are out. I'm not dosing Potassium so the only way it could be out is the salt I used at the time (D-D H2Ocean), which others have used as well.
I'll see If I can send my water off again to be tested.
Any thoughts on the Iron? Someone suggested in the past maybe there's a rusty knife tip or similar in my rock which is causing my issues. The high iron result could indicate this is true, but I'm not sure at what level Iron becomes an issue.
At the time of those tests I was using ASW, so I had assumed they bumped up Potassium for some reason. I am using NSW now so I assume my potassium levels have probably come down.
Even though some of my metals may be a little bit out, I am probably pretty sure there are numerous people out there with good tanks that have similar results, its just they don't test for them to know they are out. I'm not dosing Potassium so the only way it could be out is the salt I used at the time (D-D H2Ocean), which others have used as well.
I'll see If I can send my water off again to be tested.
Any thoughts on the Iron? Someone suggested in the past maybe there's a rusty knife tip or similar in my rock which is causing my issues. The high iron result could indicate this is true, but I'm not sure at what level Iron becomes an issue.
-
mrkris
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 244
- Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm
- Posts Per Page: Adelaide
Re: Nutrient levels too low?
tagging along with this one. i am having the same issues
undetectable nitrates/phosphates and i have dinos. i run biopellets and a large block of marine pure in my sump. i have recently been dosing acropower via ATO and my corals have been colouring up again but now i need to raise my nitrates and phosphates to get to that magical 2:0.02 ratio ive been reading about.
undetectable nitrates/phosphates and i have dinos. i run biopellets and a large block of marine pure in my sump. i have recently been dosing acropower via ATO and my corals have been colouring up again but now i need to raise my nitrates and phosphates to get to that magical 2:0.02 ratio ive been reading about.
-
Macca_75
- Old Sea Dog Reefer
- Posts: 2772
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
- Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU
Re: Nutrient levels too low?
Didn't read the entire thread, but I had 0.00 on a Hanna for PO4. Turned out the unit was faulty. Are you getting a reading now?
-
mrkris
- Bicentenary Reefer
- Posts: 244
- Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm
- Posts Per Page: Adelaide
Re: Nutrient levels too low?
me personally i have 2 salifert test kits bought months apart, both with different expiry dates so assuming different batches and they both read 0