Canon EOS 700D

This forum is for the discussion relating to all aspects of diving, collect and photography of marine related subjects. You can discuss equipment, software, or just display your photographs for critique.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Photography Forum

Post Reply
Biggie Reefer
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide

Canon EOS 700D

Post by Biggie Reefer »

Hi Guys,

Just seeking some advice on whether this camera would be suitable?

http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au ... amera.html

Very keen on experimenting with Macro Photography, I am VERY green to ANY sort of photography other than the odd selfie on my iPhone!!! Would this camera suit my needs? The Mrs is also a florist and we would be using the camera to take photos of her work also.

I am aware I would need to purchase a Macro lens, any recommendations? Any recommendations on the camera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

Biggie :thumbsup:
No sir, no it's not a "Nemo".

Ankle Deep
chromus
I Was Around When Noah Was a Reefer
Posts: 19409
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 am
Posts Per Page: Atwell, Perth, WA
Contact:

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by chromus »

Seems like a good deal, I checked it against DWI and they want $779 for that package, BUT you have to ask yourself is the price too good to be true, something about the eglobal site seems to ring alarm bells to me, could be nothing, but checking would be good.

Do some research on the vendor. The hardware itself will probably be more than you ever need.
Did you search RTAW Reefpedia B4 asking your question?

My Tank Journals
8x3x2.5 With Webcam
Tank Monitor (Work in Progress)
My reefs power consumption is offset with solar power
Biggie Reefer
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by Biggie Reefer »

Cheers Chromus,

Have you purchased from DWI before? If you can confirm its a reputable dealer I don't mind forking out the extra few bucks for peace of mind!!!

This may also sound like a silly question but does all the products from DWI come with AUS plugs. I always fear buying something online and having it come back with a US / EU plug on the end..

Cheers

Biggie :thumbsup:
No sir, no it's not a "Nemo".

Ankle Deep
cooper666
Bicentenary Reefer
Posts: 207
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am
Posts Per Page: Babinda

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by cooper666 »

I purchased a camera from DWI once. Everything seemed OK, I ordered online went through the check out and paid for the camera. DWI replied - Sorry we're out of stock but we do have this alternative camera and pushed me to change my decision. I opted for a refund, which they honoured without fuss but I still found the whole situation very annoying. I couldn't believe that I was able to purchase a product from them that they did not have and could not get in stock. I would not shop with them again. Keep in mind that DWI supply grey imports which means that they do not come with AUS warranties, any problems and you would have to go through DWI instead of canon in AUS.

My partner has a canon eos 650 D and it takes pretty good shots of my aquarium, given that I have no photography skills. We do not have a macro lense so I can't comment on the macro stuff.
My tank - Frenchys Reef viewtopic.php?f=148&t=257945
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by Magicj »

I bought my camera from eGlobal a few years ago and had no problems, although I obviously can't guarantee that you won't.

I bought the Canon 600D with the same stock lenses - the 700D will be more than enough camera for your needs.

I also bought the Tamron 90mm Macro lens - http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au ... enses.html and love it - it is significantly cheaper than the Canon equivalent but, for my purposes, is perfect.
Biggie Reefer
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by Biggie Reefer »

Thanks for the replies guy!!!

Magicj wrote:I also bought the Tamron 90mm Macro lens - http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au ... enses.html and love it - it is significantly cheaper than the Canon equivalent but, for my purposes, is perfect.


Ill look in to this, Macro Photography is the whole reason I want a DSLR but wasn't aware of the cost of the lens!! :o That seems like an affordable option. Also in your opinion is there much use in getting the twin lens kit? It comes with a 18-55 & 55-250? Or just get a single lens kit and throw in the Macro Lens??

Thanks again for the help guys!!

Biggie :thumbsup:
No sir, no it's not a "Nemo".

Ankle Deep
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by Magicj »

The stock lenses cover a fairly wide range and are a reasonable starting choice - for normal needs you really need both of these so I would stick with the package you were looking at.

Yes, the macro lens are expensive,which is why I went with the Tamron. Like you, a macro lens was a prerequisite when I bought my camera and I am very happy with the purchase.

You will find a lot of good reviews for the Tamron 90mm - have a read yourself to make sure it is what you want. If you want to see some sample pictures let me know.
Biggie Reefer
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by Biggie Reefer »

Magicj wrote:You will find a lot of good reviews for the Tamron 90mm - have a read yourself to make sure it is what you want. If you want to see some sample pictures let me know.


I would love to see some sample shots!!!!!!!

Cheers

Biggie :thumbsup:
No sir, no it's not a "Nemo".

Ankle Deep
Magicj
Veteran Reefer
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:29 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart, Tasmania

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by Magicj »

Here's a selection

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
mike160384
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:49 am
Posts Per Page: Busselton

Re: Canon EOS 700D

Post by mike160384 »

Wow these are fantastic shots!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply

Return to “Diving, Collection and Photography Forum”