My First Nano 40Cm Starfire Cube - doing it right

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Nano and Pico Tanks with a Volume less than 100 litres.

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

My First Nano 40Cm Starfire Cube - doing it right

Post by striking »

Introduction:
After moving, I didn't want to setup the big tank as my wife wouldn't let me... So I have managed to squeeze a nano into my study with out too many problems :) I am going to take my time and do this one right, my big tank was too dodged up...

System Objectives: A well designed and run Nano tank

System Type: Mixed reef, LPS, clam, anemones and Clowns.

Display System: Not sure what this is ??

Strike up Date: 12 Jan 2014

Display Tank: Starfire 40cm x 40xm x 40cm Rimless Cube

Display Lighting: TBA Maybe Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (was going to use my Radion XR30 - but that has gone missing since the move...

Stand: Tank came with a small stand

Hood: Nil

Sump: Custom Acrylic to suit stand 350mmW x 285mmD x 500mmH

Refugium: In Sump

Refugium Lighting: TBA LED


Support systems:

System Water: Artificial salt water

Display Water circulation: Vortech Mp10

Return Pump: Eheim compact 1000

Skimmer: Devil Red 250 internal

Evaporation Top Up: Auto topup using Smart ATO-Automatic Top Off System with RO/DI water


Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: Manual

Alkilinity Addition: Manual

Other Chemical Maintenance: Magnesium

Current Water Chemistry:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Now for some Pics

Tank
Image

Proposed Tank modifications
Image

Proposed Sump Design
Image

Fell free to critique and provide any feedback you think may be useful.
Last edited by striking on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

Re: My First Nano - doing it right

Post by striking »

I have modified the design, I had my dimension wrong in the first one.

Here is the latest revision Image

SKP file herehttps://strikinggroup.box.com/shared/static/wblvpf7dbrmyrnn4sbn8.skp
Last edited by striking on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

Re: My First Nano - doing it right

Post by striking »

Did a bit of tinkering over the weekend amongst hours of research :).

Decided the start working on the tank and cut the rectangle out for the overflow. I used a diamond cutting disc on the Dremmel and it worked great.

I cut the to sides, do easy and then I thought I would just score and snap the bottom edge to mate it a bout closer, I put too much pressure on the straight edge and cracked the back piece of glass :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: I will just have to find a place on the gold coast that can cut glass to order and I will get a replacement piece with everything drilled and cut out and swap it over :thumbsup:

To redeem my stupidity, I decided to do some work on the back rock wall, here is the draft layout and how it looks in the back of the tank. I have a few nice looking shelf pieces which should act as great coral supports! Pretty happy with how it has turned out so far.

The two blank spots are for the return bulkhead and the MP10.

Next, I will fill the gaps in with expanding foam and shape it to look like rocks using the dremmel.

Image
Image
Image
Mr Miagi
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:29 am
Posts Per Page: Adelaide, SA

Re: My First Nano - doing it right

Post by Mr Miagi »

I like the idea, will be interesting how it turns out! :thumbsup:
--Cheers, Benny
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

Re: My First Nano - doing it right

Post by striking »

The idea is to try and make it look like a slice of the real reef :)
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

Re: My First Nano 40Cm Starfire Cube - doing it right

Post by striking »

Ordered the glass from a mate of mine who works for a Glass supplier.

Some new Starfire coming my way, pre-cut and some glass for for the overflow box :thumbsup: Should be back on track this week.

I have ordered some ReefSafe pond foam for the rock wall from these guys. http://www.waterscapesaustralia.com.au/products-page/black-waterfall-construction-foam/diy-black-waterfall-foam-474ml/
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

Re: My First Nano 40Cm Starfire Cube - doing it right

Post by striking »

A small update here on the goodies that have been delivered over the last few days. :thumbsup:

Image
Image
Image
Image
striking
RTAW Reefer
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:00 am
Posts Per Page: Coomera Waters Qld

Re: My First Nano 40Cm Starfire Cube - doing it right

Post by striking »

Short update guys. Replacement glass is ready to pickup Monday, so I have spent this weekend working further on the rockwall.

I decided to remove the white foam because it didn't cure hard like I expected, I ordered some Pond Safe stuff instead and it has come up great. This foam stick like sh*t to a blanket so I was able to cut off the zip ties 20 minutes later. The rock are solid and it supports the cantilevered weight well.

Image
Image
Image
kingsley
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 am
Posts Per Page: Brisbane

Re: My First Nano 40Cm Starfire Cube - doing it right

Post by kingsley »

Hi Striking, may I ask where you purchased the starfire 40 cube from? I got a starfire 30 cube and I got it all the way from Korea when I was travelling for business, and now I want to upgrade to a 40-45 cube :)
Post Reply

Return to “Reef Tanks Nano/Pico (Less than 100 Litres)”