The PEI theory

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Post Reply
wmackay
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:58 am
Posts Per Page: Russell Vale, Wollongong

The PEI theory

Post by wmackay »

A theory I have been toying with for a while is to create a 'negative zero' or 'positive ecological impact' reef system. this reef, donned PEI for short by me basically means the tanks inhabitants, rock and corals will come from either tank bred fish, aquacultured corals and seeded rock/sand from other reefers. This means zero impact on nature as everything was aquacultured. Once established, my frag tank will be utilised. This is where the posoitive ecological Impact comes into play. By swapping and fragging/growing my own corals, I aswell as others with have a diversity of corals that you would spend hundreds of dollars on, not to mention that many less colonies being taken. I will attempt to breed fish eventually aswell.
Hopefully in time, if enough people have similar set ups, ( I already know of a few ) we can have access to a significant array of marine life, with minimal impact on the environment. ( obviously frags have to originate from a colony somewhere.)
I know that its probably nothing in the scheme of things, but every bit counts. If more and more people do it, the greater the positive impact will become. I have read of indonesian divers that set up coral beds, and frag then grow corals to colonies of a mother clony, effectively getting as many colonies of coral off one as hey want. I belive this is the future of marine reefing and will take the load of nature in the long run.
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down."
Woodys 32x20x20 Reef
*****Woodys NEW Cuboid Archipelago*****
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”