Tassie Temperate Tank

The purpose of this forum is to allow people to showcase their tanks, and allow other uses to ask questions on equipment, livestock, methodology etc.
Specifically for Diverse Tanks (Cubes, Squares, Triangular) (Fish Only with Live Rock, Predator Tanks, Temperate Tanks) (non-photosynthetic tanks, Marine Plant/Algae Tanks, Greenhouse Tanks)

Moderators: Moderators, Promotions, Competitions & Sponsorship, Mod: Tank Journals

Post Reply
aquamans
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart

Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by aquamans »

Tassie Temperate Tank

I am in the process of setting a Temperate Marine Tank to be stocked with local Tasmanian species.

The tank is still onder construction with a few bits and pieces to go, but I hope to have it up and running with in six or so weeks.

Here are a few pics of the build so far and how the tank is looking up to date.

The Internal Sump Sketch :crossfingers:
Image

Tank and sump pics

Image

Image

:crossfingers:
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3677
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 pm
Posts Per Page: Riverhills, Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by Dan »

looks good so far, I am keen to see how the turf scrubber goes for you.

are you going to collect the livestock yourself?
aquamans
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart

Re: Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by aquamans »

Yeah incorporating the turf scrubber is my next project still working the design out.

I will be collecting the live stock myself I contacted the relevant dept down here and they said it was ok to as long as stick to size limits and no endangered species like Handfish etc
Dan
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 3677
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 pm
Posts Per Page: Riverhills, Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by Dan »

awesome!
aquamans
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 am
Posts Per Page: Hobart

Re: Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by aquamans »

Yeah it deffinently saves alot of money doing the collecting myself and my daughter loves tide pools which will be were the majority of my collecting takes place. Just have to watch out for Blue Ringed octos. I have never seen one but I have been told they are prolific down here.

I would love to snorkel and dive to grab specimens but most of the water drops off to over 30m once you go more than 10m out from the beach. All I hear is the Jaws theme song in my head when I get in to deep water. But there are a few bays where the depth is only 10m of lower.

Some of the soft corals and Anenomes are quite stunning down here. But until I get the tank up and running and the chiller working I will just be experimenting with what works best and try not to kill anything I collect.
Choppa
RTAW Veteran Reefer
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:32 am
Posts Per Page: Perth WA

Re: Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by Choppa »

Hi

This sounds very interesting :thumbsup:

I just got back from Xmas holidays in Margaret River where we had a look at the Bussleton Jetty underwater observatory which was stunning to see all the sponges and other cold water beasties. I could trade in my tropical reef for a cold water jetty pylon very easily.

:cheers:
Hasten Slowly
Dear old dad
jayellul
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2471
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 10:26 am
Posts Per Page: Lake Macquarie

Re: Tassie Temperate Tank

Post by jayellul »

Hows this thing comging along?
Post Reply

Return to “Diverse Tanks (Refer Description)”