Clownfish laying eggs

Discussion on breeding & propagating marine fish, corals & other species.

Moderators: Moderators, Mod: Propagation & Breeding

Post Reply
Natedawg
Lurking Reefer
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:44 am
Posts Per Page: Sydney Australia

Clownfish laying eggs

Post by Natedawg »

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me with my clownfish spawning.
The pair of them started spawning in late November, they've laid probably about 5 clutches of eggs. Each time the eggs look ready to hatch, then the next morning the clownfish have eaten the eggs and laid another clutch.

I usually turn everything off around 10 pumps, water blowers lights, and wait about an hour in the dark. No hatchlings.

I'm mostly curious as I haven't really seen my little clownfish much, he's been working tirelessly nonstop.

So basically wondering if it's normal to have back to back spawnings for 2 months and if I'll ever see my little guy ever gain!

Cheers Nate.
Macca_75
Old Sea Dog Reefer
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:40 am
Posts Per Page: SE subrubs, Melbourne, Victoria, AU

Re: Clownfish laying eggs

Post by Macca_75 »

Natedawg wrote:Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone could help me with my clownfish spawning.
The pair of them started spawning in late November, they've laid probably about 5 clutches of eggs. Each time the eggs look ready to hatch, then the next morning the clownfish have eaten the eggs and laid another clutch.

I usually turn everything off around 10 pumps, water blowers lights, and wait about an hour in the dark. No hatchlings.

I'm mostly curious as I haven't really seen my little clownfish much, he's been working tirelessly nonstop.

So basically wondering if it's normal to have back to back spawnings for 2 months and if I'll ever see my little guy ever gain!

Cheers Nate.

Perfectly normal. The eggs do hatch and are eaten by corals, fish, skimmed out, etc. I doubt you will ever see the larvae unless you:

1) Wait for the actual hatching and harvest the larvae
2) Pull the eggs (with the rock they are attached to) the night prior to hatching and put them into another tank
3) As above but pull the eggs earlier and keep them airated, etc.
Post Reply

Return to “Propagation & Breeding”